Review by Fusion Dragon

""There is Only Room for One Boss and One Snake""

First of all, I must say this is one of THE greatest games I have ever played in my life. It has one of the best plots in any movie, book or game I have ever seen and its gameplay is one of the best in any game I have played aswell.

This game is the 3rd installment of the Metal Gear Solid Series (although there are a few Metal Gear games for the NES and SNES) and possibly the best of the 3. It takes the gameplay and stealth play from the other 2 games and adds much more to it.

Anyways on with the review!

Story 10/10

What is a game without a story, and as I wrote above, this game has one of the best stories I have ever seen in my life.

Its the Cold War and Snake, part of FOX a group that specializes in espionage is sent into the jungle to rescue a weapons scientist by the name of Sokolov from his Russian Captives.

The Story picks up when you learn that the Russians wanted Sokolov so they could make him create a weapon that could turn the Cold War, into a Blazing Hot one. This weapon, called the Shagohod, is an armored tank that can launch nuclear missiles from any terrain without being detected. It is a type of "Metal Gear" if you will, and is equipped with rockets that can allow it to reach up to 300 mph and increase its missile launching capability range.

A GRU Colonel, by the name of Volgin and known and feared as "Thunderbolt" in the West, is planning to use the Shagohod to help Russia gain the upperhand in the Cold War, and also create an all out Nuclear War. Volgin has also gained the assistance of the Cobra Unit, a group of extraordinary people who helped lead victory in the 2nd World War. The Cobra Unit is a group of 5 people who are named after the emotions they carried into battle, and they are lead by The Boss, who was Snake's mentor.

Graphics 10/10

The Graphics in this game were breathtaking, from the way there were no difference from real time play to the cut-scenes, to the several Camoflages you can wear and to the way the snake's hang from branches in the trees in the jungle. The mouth coordination fits perfect with the words, and the graphics never go blocky.

Gameplay 10/10

The Gamepay is amazingly well planned out. You equip weapons from the R button, use gadgets from the L button and shoot etc with the Square button. This game also introduces CQC -Close Quarters Combat, a form where you can use combinations of attacks on you enemies such as throw them to the ground, use them as a shield, interrogate them or slit their throats. This game also introduces the CURE option, where if you get injured, for example, say you get a brutal gunshot wound, you go to the CURE option, use the knife to take it out, Disinfect the wound, use Styptic to stop the flowing of blood and then bandage it up all nice and good.

You can also camoflauge yourself in this game, but uses different face paints and uniforms to blend in with your environment and sneak by your enemies etc. Also in this game, as the name states, you have to feed yourself in the jungle. There are several different types of Animals and Plants in this game that you can you can kill, capture live, and eat. When you eat, you recover Stamina, and when your Stamina drops, your wounds won't heal as smoothly, your hands will shake when you hold a gun, etc etc.

Music: 9/10

The music in this game is great, and fits quite well with the environment you are in. The Opening and Closing songs are also very well done and the pieces in this game are also very well thought out. Also they have it in very appropriate places, such as halfway through the final boss battle which really adds to the experience.

Replay Value: 10/10

This game has a lot of secrets in it for replay value such as collecting all the Camoflages, hidden cut-scenes, and some secret items that you get after you complete is more than once. Overall it has a lot to offer so you have to play through it more than once to get everything in it.

Conclusion

I highly suggest you play this game, as it is a great experience and you will not regret it. I suggest buying it, but you could probably play through it once in the time of a rental.

Overall, extremely well-done game.

Reviewer's Score: 10/10 | Originally Posted: 11/29/04