Review by ChrisR07

"The Second Best Game I've Ever Played"

Introduction:
Some of you may know that I am a hardcore Metal Gear fan. I've loved the series since I first experienced Metal Gear Solid for PlayStation. It was one of my favorite games of all time. Thus, when I first heard that Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater was to be released, I was overjoyed. It looked so incredibly amazing. Well, the game came, and I was overjoyed with what I had purchased.

Plot: 10
The game is a prequel to the previous Metal Gear games, and is set in the 1960's. You play as the operative “Naked” Snake, and you're goal is to rescue a Russian scientist who wishes to defect to the United States. However, like any Metal Gear, the game is filled with plot twists, which should surprise you if you haven't watched any of the game trailers. I personally think that this game's script is the best Kojima-san has written. Even better than Metal Gear Solid, which I thought was fantastic. It's simple and straight forward, yet at the same time it's very deep and moving. The final hour to half hour of the game actually brought tears to my eyes. If you had ANY problems with Metal Gear Solid 2's story, then you will be VERY happy to know that none of those problems exist in Snake Eater.

Graphics: 10
The graphics in Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty were very, very good, and I was amazed at how the graphics in MGS3 blow those out of the water. They are incredible. Everything from the fire, to the water, to how each blade of grass acts as you move in it, the fact that during the final boss fight when you are in first person, petals can actually land on your weapon. They push the limits of the PS2 hardware, and they are the perhaps the best graphics on the PS2 to date.

Sound: 10
Like every Metal Gear game, the sound is top notch. All the voice actors' work, the music never gets old, and all the sound effects sound exactly as they should. Explosions sound like explosions, bullets sound like bullets. Water being stepped in sounds like water being stepped in. Everything is amazing. David Hayter also gives another top-notch performance in personally what I think is his deepest role yet.

Gameplay: 10
The fact that Metal Gear Solid 3 could surpass in every aspect of the gameplay in Metal Gear Solid 2 is a dream come true. The controls are as perfect as ever, with even more crammed into them. The AI is smarter than ever before (Though they still act dumb on occasions), and each boss fight is totally different from the previous one. Each fight is unique, and incredibly fun. They also introduced an new aspect called CQC (Close Quarters Combat). It adds so much depth to the already deep gameplay. This allows you to sneak up upon your opponent, and do a number of options to him. You can strangle him to death, you can slit his throat, you can use him as a human shield, and you can even interrogate him for information. Also, the new camo system is fantastic. This allows you to switch you're outfit mid game and choose the best outfit to help you blend in with you're area. The higher your camo rating, the harder it is for the enemy to see you. This allows for fun times by sneaking around attempting to beat the game, or messing with the guards some more (A fun past time for me). But the one thing which really surprised me is it's length. On average, the player's first playthrough will probably clock in at over twenty hours long. That's around twice the length of the previous Metal Gear games. Though of course, for people worried about "Twenty hours?! That makes replaying the game BORING!", you can also blaze through the game at insanely fast times like the previous two games. Also, some people seem to gripe about the camera, but I personally think it's fine. The only one fault one might consider it having is the fact you go into menus to switch camos, heal yourself, and put items into your quick selection, but I don't have any problems with it.

Replay: 10
There are TONS of secrets in this game! Much more than MGS or MGS2. It's amazing! Hidden camos, hidden weapons, pointless items, ect. Also, there are plenty of different things one might miss when playing the main game on their first time through (Like the Nightmare mini game) if they don't use a guide. It's so crazy! Also, if you're like me, you'll most definitely want to improve upon your end rank, and that adds several more playthroughs into an already overwhelmingly great game.

Overall: 10
This is without a doubt the best game the PlayStation 2 has to offer, and one of the best games on any console in video gaming history. This is one of those few games which deserves the title of game of the year. I recommend this to EVERYONE who reads this review. Buy it now people! Buy it now!

Reviewer's Score: 10/10 | Originally Posted: 12/28/04