Review by sephiroth0000

"Government dirty deeds, done dirt cheap."

The second installment of the Splinter Cell series comes to the Playstation 2, and kicking every ass that gets in its way. This game takes place after the events of the first Splinter Cell. But for you first timers to the Splinter Cell world, your character is Sam Fisher, a middle aged man who is the perfect assassin, hero, or heck, pretty much anything.

Graphics - 8/10
Graphically speaking, the Playstation 2 version graphics of this game aren't quite as sharp looking as the Xbox version, but they still pass for excellent eye candy. Each of the levels look really nice, and all have distinct features. From the jungle level, to the train level, everything looks nice. There's a nice variety of enemies as well. So your not going to be fighting the same exact looking character the entire game. Well, of course all the police men and such look the same, but there's a nice variety of what kinds of enemies there are. All the effects look pretty decent. The explosions and such don't look like reality, but they're pretty nice looking. The water looks real enough to drink. The graphic department of this game was less then a step behind the Xbox, but a success nevertheless.

Sound - 10/10
Not only was this a graphical achievement, but an audio one as well. All of the voices you will hear in this game sound crisp and clear. The voice acting was done perfectly, so there's no cheap stuff here. Everything is top notch. The actors they picked to play the voices of the characters fit perfectly. So there are no out of place voices. Other sounds, such as explosions, gunfire, footsteps, and basic sounds sound genuine and were nicely done. The audio was obviously a priority to the developers of this game.

Gameplay - 9/10
It doesn't get much better than this folks. As far as gameplay goes, this is what most developers aim for in a game. The gameplay is very addicting, and you'll be hooked until the game is beaten. That being said, this isn't the longest game in the world, and it is much shorter than the first. There are a few new bells and whistles (no pun intended) that they threw into the technique list of Sam Fisher, but at the same time, they took a few away. You can no longer do a wall jump, and you can no longer partially open a door. It's either all the way, or not at all. I was a little miffed at the loss of the wall jump, as it was a technique that came in handy from time to time, but it wasn't a big loss, and I got over it quickly. A new feature now, is you can whistle to get an enemies attention. This is very useful when you need an enemy to walk towards you to knock him out, or kill him. As far as difficulty goes, this isn't as hard as the first one, and I didn't have one mission where it took me a long time beat like in the first one. There simply aren't any insanely difficult stages. However the game is still fun, and this is the epitome of what a stealth game should be.

Controls - 8/10
These controls are easy. Coming from someone who owns the Xbox version of the first Splinter Cell, the Xbox controls felt, and still do feel more natural, but these Ps2 controls are very easy considering the amount of techniques you have, and I got used to it in no time.

Replay Value - 5/10
After you beat it the first time, you won't find much of a reason to want to go back and play it again. There aren't any unlockables. It's fun to go back from time to time and play it through though, just because I love sneaking up behind someone and knocking them out. :)

Buy or Rent
I bought mine new, and I have no regrets. I beat the game in the span of one week. Though if I had had the time to play it more consistently, I probably would have beaten it in less. It's a nice game to own, and if your not a person that has loads of free time on your hands, you won't finish it in a day, so it's worth a buy.

Final Thoughts
This game has many pros, and very few cons. And the cons aren't even a big deal anyway. Though I feel this was not better than the first, It's still a fun and addicting game. Rest assured, you'll enjoy it.

Reviewer's Score: 8/10 | Originally Posted: 07/31/04