Review by rainydaze

"The screenshots did no justice."

Roadtrip is one game you cannot possibly judge by the screenshots on the cover. For $15, it is one of the most addicting and rewarding experiences I have had on my PlayStation 2.

Behold, the greatest (and only) CarPG ((rpg)) I have ever played.

Now to help you to understand why:

This game isn't as impressive as most racing games as far as controls and graphics. Starting out, the car doesn't seem to want to move the way the gamer turns it, and the graphics aren't at all visually impressive. But there are upgrades that can be bought/earned in order to improve your vehicle's handling more than tenfold.

The object of the game is to become President by beating the current President in a race. He has chosen to give up the presidency to the fastest racer, and you must build your way up to be just that.

Along the way you must acquire stamps in a 100 stamp long notebook saying that you have accomplished certain extremely easy to near-impossible tasks. There are also 100 Choro Q coins that must be found (these will earn decent upgrades to your car) and 100 photo shops to have your picture taken at.

The Roadtrip world is just that-- a world. The map seems endless at first, and feels huge even with the fastest engine in the game under your entirely customizable car's hood.

Customizing is half the fun.

The entire experience will last you upwards of 20, maybe even 30-40 hours, depending on how complete you wish to finish the game, and how many times you cave and look up a hint online.

The control system is customizable, and improves as your engine, tires, and steering do. No problem here.

No matter how easy or hard, Roadtrip may be the most fun you will have on your PS2.

The verdict?

---

As this is a budget title, I never did expect the graphics to be much. They never were, but they did the job they needed to do.

Not wonderful, but not headache inducing either.

---

The music tracks on this game can be rather boring and repetitive, save for one mysterious one and a track on the Fuji City races that is loaded with cymbals.

These tracks are entertaining at least.

But the music serves its purpose as well, and the car sounds are decent.

---

This game is longer than I had expected, and just long enough to fit my taste.

It was also only $15 at Best Buy, and was released, I have heard, at under $20.

This price and the length of the game boost the value immensely...

Value: 10/10

Reviewer's tilt is an automatic 10 out of 10, for an amazingly fun and unexpectedly lengthy experience.

Final, overall verdict?

a whooping 9/10.

NOT AN AVERAGE

Buy Roadtrip. I don't know if you can find it to rent, but considering the cost of a rental is 1/3 the price of the buy, it wouldn't be worth renting anyway. If you do rent it, you'll want to eventually buy.

It's seriously one of the most addicting, rewarding, and fun games for the PlayStation2.

Reviewer's Score: 9/10 | Originally Posted: 07/02/03, Updated 07/02/03