Question from iCEsTyX

My PS2 doesn't read anymore disks?

I have a PS2 slim and it's at least 4 years old. Sometimes when i put any disk in it doesn't spin at all, on rare occasions it starts working again. My friend tells me its the PS2 motor.

What do you think is the problem?

From: TheAnthraxBunny 6 years ago

There could be many different problems. It may be easy and cheap to fix or difficult and expensive. I would suggest sending it in. It's the only way to find out for sure.

Its broken, thats what i think the problem is.
Try using google and finding out how to fix,
or get some to fix,

does the disc tray come out? if not, then theres problem with the wiring
if its does come out then theres a problem with the thing the spins the disc

Wow some peoples ignorance is amusing. You should actually read before posting.

Alright now that some intelligence is on the page I would first suggest turing you slimline VERTICAL (this should make it easier on the PS2 to spin the disc). If that does not help post back an ill explain how to play a disc with the top open. That way you will be able to 'jump start' the disc for the PS2 (it takes 125% of the motor to START spinning then onces started uses around 80-90% to keep up the momentum) an allow it to maintain the RPM's

Please post back, I wanna help ya get playin again.

I had the same problem. I took the cover off and foud it dusty inside so I cleaned it and problem solved. This might not be your problem but it might be worth a try.

I'm having the same problems, only that my PS2 is only 2 years old.

Spin the thing inside the ps2 a couple of times. The thing in the middle.

I have found a way to jimmy rig my slim PS2. I figured it wasn't working working because of the disk lid. So I put a heavy glass jar on the lid and it worked. Now i had to move the jar to different spots on the lid sometimes. If that doesn't work, try another suggestion like turning it up on it's side. This is not a permanent fix, but it has kept mine working for over 2 years now, when my friend gave it to me because it didn't work.

NOTE:: Different games required the glass jar to be put on different parts of the lid. Trial and error. Thats all i got.

this happened to me too exact its the fat one. on my first one it coulden' t even play one single disc because of the motor. on the second which i still own. What it did was it kept making some annoying scratching noise. i didn't even know how it happen. so i suggest returning to gamestop if you bought there with that 90 day warranty guarantee

If your ps2 dosen't read disks then you need a dvd lens cleaner (its a disk you put in to the ps2 and it checks the sound and graphics and cleans the lens at the same time)