Question from lolaparker

Playstation 2 vs. Xbox 360 arcade???

I am going to by my son (7) a new system for x-mas. We already have a Wii and he has a gamecube in his room. We want to replace the gamecube (LOVE IT but can't get new releases). I won't spend $300 for a game system for a 7 yr. old. So I can get the Xbox 360 arcade or I can get a Playstation 2. I have read the reviews for Xbox and some of them are really scary. Playstation 2 sounds more reliable but obviously the Xbox is the newer system. Someone Please Help Me decide. I am at a loss.

From: odin66 6 years ago

It really depends on what you and your son want from gaming. If you want the better graphics and online capabilities then go with the 360. If you want a ridiculously huge library of quality games then the PS2 will work. For reliability, I can't speak for the 360, but I got my PS2 when it first launched in 2000 and it still works great.

If you're on a budget, the PS2 would be the way to go. If you get the Xbox 360 arcade, you'll have to buy a $50 memory card, or your son won't be able to save the progress in any of his games. Also, new Xbox 360 games are $60 each, whereas the PS2 has a vast library of games you can buy for $20 or so.

You will find a much greater range of child friendly games on the PS2, and as has been said already, it's cheap now, and reliable. Also, you can play PS1 games on the PS2 console (though you will need a PS1 memory card to do that - cheap to buy if you can find a supplier), and the PS1 has tons of titles you could find for very little money.