Review by Mime

"PS2 will be among us for a long time..."

After the success of the original PlayStation, many gamers around the world kept anxiously waiting for the release of its successor: the PlayStation2. Sony promised a videogame machine capable of producing ''movie-like graphics'' while displaying millions of polygons per second. After all was said and done, the PS2 is finally available in every major store. But, is it really worth the $300.00 plus?

Graphics: 9
Although some games have a much cleaner and sharpen look than games on the Dreamcast, they are not perfect. Flickering, jaggies, and other graphical glitches are still present on first generation PS2 games. This could be attributed to the fact that, according to various sources, the PS2 is very difficult to program for. However, developers seem to be getting familiar with the hardware, and most of these problems will be a part of the past (just look at the Metal Gear Solid 2 demo and you’ll see what I’m talking about). Overall, it will take a while until we see incredible graphics.

Sound: 10
The sound is excellent. What else could you expect from a DVD and CD based game machine? Crispy and rich sounds, incredible music, and clear voice-overs. Definitely, one of the strongest points of the PlayStaion2.

Features: 10
Without a doubt, one of the strongest selling points of the console is the DVD player. The DVD playback feature is great, and if you don’t have a DVD player, the PS2 is just right for you. Another nice feature is the backwards compatibility with PlayStation games (except a few of them) with a few enhancements such as faster loading times and smoother textures. You can even use your old PS controllers and memory cards. The USB and i.LINK connections are also a nice addition; you will be able to use keyboards, camcorders, and other devices that will enhance your gaming experience. The only complaint is that it has only two controller ports. Oh well, nothing is perfect.

Peripherals: 9
There is a vast array of products available for the PS2 out there. Some of them are useless (third party controllers, official ones are so much better, believe me) and others are indispensable (memory cards, extra controllers, etc). And if you don’t like to use the DualShock2 to operate the DVD player, you can purchase an optional control remote, but it is not necessary though.

Games: 8
Games can make or break a console. Although the majority of the PS2 games available are not astounding, only a few are well worthy. Hopefully, that will change in the upcoming fall when the truly next generation games on the PS2 are released. Until now, here is the list of what I and my friends think is the best option for your PS2 library:
Dead or Alive 2 Hardcore
Tekken Tag Tournament
Zone of the Enders (and the Metal Gear Solid 2 demo of course)
Onimusha
Red Faction
Dark Cloud
SSX
Star Wars: Starfighter
Ridge Racer V
Rayman 2 Revolution

Overall: 9 / 10
The PlayStation2 is a good investment and if you get one, you won’t regret your purchase. And although it is not as innovative as the original PlayStation, it will have the same success, which is a great thing for us gamers. We can look forward to an incredible library of true next generation games and countless hours of entertaining.

Reviewer's Score: 9/10 | Originally Posted: 06/16/01, Updated 06/16/01