Review by Da VideoGuy

"This doesn't meet the high expectation and hype."

I'm no fanboy. I'm not here to say ''PS2 sucks I hate it!'' but what I'm really here for is to discuss the PS2's difficulties and what the system ''can'' be if it tried. Now don't go flaming ''GameCube sucks it's all childish'' or ''X-Box is Microsoft''. You can't judge them yet can you? PS2 is the only one that's out. Now with what's here, and I'm not going to be biased, is what's here. I'm not going to say ''GameCube will rule all!'' or ''X-Box is the best!''. Who knows? But we know now what the PS2 is like, and so far it's not looking good.

Graphics: 8
Don't get me wrong here. The PS2 can perform many graphical tasks, and impresses me greatly. The only problem I have is the anti-aliasing, making the textures look bad and all the jaggies making the pixelation on the screen. But really, graphics aren't all that matters. So maybe the PS2 can have more polygons than the DC, for instance. But DC has better quality polygons than the PS2. So really, you can't compare the two very much.

Sound: 10
Great job here. Digital, surround, etc. is what the PS2 has. Clear sound too. But the quality of the sound is the same as many systems that are CD/DVD format, so you can't really compare them.

Console Design: 2
Okay, I'll admit it. The PS2 is a very cool looking system. And it also saves space with the vertical stand, and the blue and black color scheme is very pleasant to the eyes. The controller uses the same aspect which is nice.

But what the console loses in this department is how bad the job was done on the inside.

If you don't know already, 75% of all PS2's come in defective. Now this doesn't mean that the system doesn't work, it just means that it doesn't work to it's full potential. My brother-in-law bought a PS2 just about a month ago and DVD's barely work on it. My cousins' PS2 disc drive stopped working(without doing anything to it) so he has to open it with a fork. So if you're thinking of getting a PS2 or must absolutley have one, it's probably best to wait to see if Sony will actually think before designing the PS2.
Plus, if you're planning on getting a modchip for it, don't count on it. It is nearly IMPOSSIBLE to get one of those things soldered into the tiny delicate motherboard.

Games: 3
This is what I was expecting from the PS2. Too bad it can't do much of it. I'm really pissed off at Sony because of the games. Sony is trying to get us into the hype because the PSX was excellent, and the graphics are also outstanding. Too bad millions of people fell into the hype, because the PS2 does bad in the most important category.
Don't get me wrong, there are a few games out that I enjoy, for example:
Gran Truismo 3: A-Spec, Kessen, Armored Core 2, SSX, Madden 2001.

If you're into RPG's, PS2 isn't that great of a role-model for them, and many of them are just $50 games specifically for ''eye candy''.
Don't expect almost anything in this department. Though now there are more new games coming out for it that are good, don't think that they will be the greatest games ever. Though they may be good, you can probably find 100 games on PSX that are just as good.

Backwards Compatibility: 8
This little machine plays your old PSX games which is a nice touch, and they play exactly the same too. And what's cool is is that you can use your old memory cards, controllers, etc and even enhance the graphics. Though enhancing them is just blurring the textures, but it does look better. Though if the PS2 had anti-aliasing...

DVD Feature: 9
The DVD player on the PS2 is excellent. It plays DVDs just as good as a DVD player should. You have to buy a remote seperate, but you can always use your controller. The quality is also sharp. But with any DVD player, just avoid plugging it into your VCR or else the picture will look horrible because of the Macrovision technology. Expect the DVD player to be a good part of the PS2.

Overview:
Graphics: 8
Sound: 10
Console Design: 2
Games: 3
Backwards Compatibility: 8
DVD Feature: 9

Overall:4

Get this when(or if) it gets the greatness it needs for any console system. Though playing your old games and DVDs is a very cool feature, buying this for the PS2 games isn't all that good of a deal for now.

The PS2. Easy to love it for the hype. Hard to love it for the games.

Reviewer's Score: 4/10 | Originally Posted: 08/02/01, Updated 09/02/01