Review by cHaOs

"PlayStation 2 has everything, and then a little bit more"

PlayStation. This name is one of the most commonly used names to refer to video games. For every 5th house, 3 of them have a PlayStation inside. In that case, what would be better than taking the most famous video game console in the world to the next level? Well, nothing. And, that's exactly what Sony did.

Games 10/10

I'm going to start out with, what I think, is the most important aspect of determining how good a console is... It's games. Most people think or believe that the PlayStation 2 doesn't have many good games, and its launch was a failure. Well, believe what you want, but let me assure you that the PlayStation 2 has some of the greatest games ever created made exclusively for it. As of August 14, 2001 (the day I wrote this article), the best game on the PlayStation 2 is... well, 2 games, and I like them both the same. Those two games are Gran Turismo 3 A-spec and Twisted Metal Black. Both of these games are extremely fun, and both of them use the PS2's power to a max potential. But, keep in mind, these aren't the only good games on the PS2, as the console offers a wide variety of genres. There is everything from shooting (Red Faction), to fast arcade fun (Crazy Taxi), to simple, yet entertaining platformers (Rayman 2: Revolution), and then of course all the great games in between.

Features 10/10

This console.. or should I say this Computer Entertainment System has more features than you could've dreamed about. First of all, it has the famed PS one console built right in. Which means, instead of having to spend money on another PS2 controller or multi tap, you can just use the one from your original PS one. Which in turn saves you a lot of well-earned money, as opposed to the other consoles (Dreamcast, GameCube, Xbox) where you must buy all new accessories. That way you can spend your money on games instead of controllers. And then of course, you can always pop in one of your classic PS one games in case you have a craving for some classics. On top of that, you get a built in DVD/CD player. Now, not only is this a great deal for $300 dollars, its also great fun!

Future 10/10

The way things are going, the PS2 looks like it has a pretty concrete future. The games are already getting great, and the console has only been out ofr over a year. The future games are really looking good (Metal Gear Solid 2, Dead to Rights, Grand Theft Auto 3, Final Fantasy X, etc.), and it looks as if Sony's online plans are going to be a success (I'm definitely buying a network adapter modem, and you should too.. Twisted Metal Online, and Tony Hawk 3 are gonna be great fun in online multiplayer). The future of The PS2 looks solid, and who knows!? Maybe it'll even do better than the PS one. This console has been hyped about for many, many years, and I don't think it falls short of anything.. not even amazing. Get out there and get a PS2, you're money will be well spent. I guarantee it.

Reviewer's Score: 10/10 | Originally Posted: 08/15/01, Updated 08/15/01