"Make way for the king of consoles!"

The PlayStation2. Sony's little black box of fun and joy. This is the best way I can describe this console. The hype that was created before the console was even launched was HUGE! Every single person in town knew about it. ''Hey, pal, when will you buy your PS2'', I asked my friend one day. ''Dude! Are you crazy man? I've already pre-ordered my PS2'', was his reply. So was this little half pound box of circuits worth the hype? In my opinion, it’s a definite yes. The launch didn't go the way Sony wanted it to go. Every unit had been sold the day it was released. People queued outside stores for hours just for that. Now, after 3 years, they are still selling like hot cakes thanks to the great games that are being released exclusively on the PS2 like Grand Theft auto: Vice City, Gran Turismo 3: A-spec and Smack down: Here comes the Pain. Now, let us begin the review or ceremonial test of the powers of the PLAYSTATION 2.
Graphics:9
--------------
The graphics are pretty damn good. It uses a 128 bit Emotion engine graphics processor, the graphics produced by it is amazing. But it only gets a 9 because it lacks anti-aliasing so the PSX games that are played on it don't look any better. The Xbox, gamecube and,perhaps, the dreamcast, they all have better graphics because of their superior graphics card. The PlayStation 2 only has 4 MB of VRAM, as compared to Dream cast's 8 MB. This creates problems when playing games with huge scenarios like Dynasty Warriors. I've experienced a lot of slowdown in that game when 30+ soldiers gang up on me. The quality of the DVD player is good too though some of the DVDs don't work on it( It has never happened to me though).
Audio:10
--------------
I don't really pay attention to the music. It's the game that really matters. The sounds are good, just like any console and it supports Dolby 5.1.
--------------
Games: 10(Should've been 11)
--------------
Ah! Games! The main part of any console. If the games are good, the console is good. If the games are bad, then the console will go down the drain(Not possible). The date on which i wrote this review was 16 November 2003 and the games that have been released are OH!My God!. They are the best games you'll find on any console. Tony Hawk Under Ground, Grand Theft Auto: Vice City, Gran Turismo 3: A-spec, Metal Gear Solid 2: Substance, Pro evolution Soccer 3, Smack down: Here comes the pain etc etc and many many more. I've just only started. If you told me to tell you all the good games on the PS2 then my hands would have been tired typing for so long. Even better games coming next year like Medal of Honour: Rising Sun, Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater, Grand Theft Auto 4 and Lord of the Rings: The return of the King. Boy! I can't wait!
Controller: 10
--------------
The controller is the best of any console. Black and smooth, with two analog sticks just under your two thumbs, just perfect for First person shooters or practically any game. I liked the PSX controller very much. Now I love the PS2 controller. It fits my hands perfectly and now it has a dual shock feature which means more rumbling fun playing racing games.
Peripherals: 8
-------------
The PS2 has many add-ons like the remote control for the DVD player, network modem, memory cards, multi taps and controllers. One thing I don't like about the add-ons is that the memory card should have been built-in the Play Station 2 like in the Xbox. One memory card costs about 35 dollars and you will probably have to buy another one as the memory card only has 8 MB of space and most games take take about 0.75 MB of space. I have about 35 games and I had to delete some of my saved data to make space for some of my new game saves. There should also have been a built-in modem for online play. Apart from these very miniscule problems, everything else is top-notch.
Features: 10
--------------
The PS2 is almost like a computer. You have a DVD player that plays nearly 99% of DVDs. You have a CD player, which, when connected with a Hi-Fi or stereo system, can play music in Dolby 5.1 mode and last, but not the least, you have your ordinary DVD games player which any dung brain knows, is to play your Play Station 2 games and also your good old PSX games. Now you can even play online with games like Socom: US Navy Seals, Tony Hawk Pro Skater 4, Gran Turismo 4 and Midnight Club 2. Gameplay on a 56k modem is pretty slow so you'll be needing a broadband cable modem. Overall, the features are enough to keep you from getting bored of Sony's marvellous masterpiece.
Final words: Buy it!
-------------
This baby is one way ticket to paradise. What are you waiting for? You should rush to your nearest store and get one. The prices have now dropped from 300$ to 200$. Don't even look at the Xbox or Game Cube. Just brab the box and take it home, even if you have to steal it.

Reviewer's Score: 10/10 | Originally Posted: 11/04/03