Review by championgamer

"A great system with a huge supply of games and the most online games"

Of all the modern systems, the Playstation 2 is the best to get.

Graphics 10 out of 10

The graphics are great on Playstation 2. Some games can get a little slow, but that does not matter. The people who designed those games designed good looking, but poisonous graphics on this system and none of them are that good anyway. The graphics are great despite being the weakest part of this system. This system is capable of looking high definition even if HDTV is not in the game or turned on, but only of Playstation 2 games.

Sound 10 out of 10

This system plays CDs as good as a stereo despite not having mega bass. No games are really bad in sound for this system. The only weakness of this is minor which is that with DVDs you have to turn it up to hear them, but you get that with just about every DVD player. I never use most of the options in this system's games.

Pricing 10 out of 10

This system is priced below what you would expect for it to cost considering it can be used as a great DVD player. It may not be able to rewind or fast forward like some, but it plays DVDs and it allows you to play games from 2 systems. When I got mine, I did not have a Playstation 1 and because of that, I could buy any game from a huge PS1 collection at Electronics Boutique or Game Stop and buy new ones at Wal Mart. Only a few new games are still made for that system and its graphics, sound and gameplay are (for the most part) not up to par with the games being released for Playstation 2.

Game Selection

Action and Adventure 8 out of 10

There are a few good games in this category such as Ratchet and Clank, Jak and Dexter and their sequels, Jak II and Ratchet and Clank: Going Commando. There is also the Crash Bandicoot and Spyro the Dragon series of games. You can even get Mega Man games for this system or for PS1. The only weakness is the lack of other famous games such as Mario and Zelda from Nintendo, though there are more of these games that are pretty good here than on Gamecube.

Driving 10 out of 10

This category is a major strength of the system with such great titles as Grand Theft Auto III, Grand Theft Auto: Vice City, Midnight Club, Midnight Club 2 and True Crime: Streets of LA. Besides that there is also the Driver series from Playstation 1 and the soon to be released Driver 3, which will probably be a good game. There is no lack of racing games either as Grand Turismo III and NASCAR Thunder 2002, 2003 and 2004 are on this system. There is not a lack of a major driving or racing series other than Mario Kart and for that, there is always Crash Team Racing.

Puzzle 1 out of 10

There are no puzzle games on this system such as Tetris, other than old ports from other systems. Most of the games classified as puzzle are directed towards female gamers that do not really know that much about games. I can't think of 1 good puzzle game on this system that was programmed this decade.

Role Playing Games 10 out of 10

This system has Final Fantasy 7, 8, 9, 10, X-2 and almost all of the older ones available for it even if some of them are on Playstation one. There is also Tactics and such games as RPG Maker 1 and 2 and The .hack series of which 3 of 4 have been released but I have personally not ever played. All major RPG franchises have been on Playstation systems only for practically 10 years and I am sure that they will not be going on another system other than Playstation 3 anytime in the near future.

Simulation 3 out of 10

This category has only 1 game series I can think of and that is a poor version of The Sims. That particular version is a mission-based game and that is not what The Sims is meant to be. There is also the upcoming The Sims: Busting Out, but I have found out that some form of the mission-mode will be in that.

Sports 10 out of 10

On this system, you can get great games such as NBA Street, Madden, NCAA Football, NCAA March Madness, NBA Live (newer versions), NHL, High Heat Baseball (at least through the 2004 version which had a franchise mode for the first time) and even old Playstation 1 versions if you want a cheap and low-quality version compared with the Playstation 2 version. You could even get games for minor sports like Rugby and international sports like soccer.

Strategy 8 out of 10

In this category, you can get Risk and Playstation 1 games like Civilization I and II, though it is cheaper to get the PC version which takes up practically none of your computer. This category is a little weak but it has enough games for many people who play games.

Online 10 out of 10

At the time I write this, if you want an online game console, it is cheapest to get a Playstation 2 and you can play major 3rd party franchises online. I personally have not used online but I am sure that this is the best online console system out at the present because it has the most online games and many work with a dial up connection, which most of the people reading this probably have.

Rent or Buy

Buy, I don't know of anywhere that you can rent a system and anyway, if you were to rent it, you'd be making a dumb decision. This system is worth its current price. I have the version that doesn't have online as it was the only one out when I got it and I don't really care about online. You might prefer the online version, but I recommend to avoid bundles with obscure games and those that don't have good reviews or reviews you can read and see that the weaknesses the reviewer mentions are actually strengths for you.

Reviewer's Score: 10/10 | Originally Posted: 11/22/03