Review by Zuake6561

"Console kicks the bucket while its games kick butt"

The oldest of the 3 most "current" game systems, the Playstation 2 was released in late 2000 as countless people waited in line at stores until midnight just to get their new system. Several years and myriads of games later, we have found both good things and bad things with the PS2.

Games 9/10

The PS2 has some amazing games, many not available for other systems. The strategy/RPG games seem to dominate the PS2 spectrum, which is somewhat a result of the Playstation X. The best RPG games for PS2 would definitely be the Final Fantasy series, especially Final Fantasy X and its sequel X-2 (the name still puzzles me). But if you like FPS (First-Person Shooter) games, don't feel left out! There are numerous FPS including Quake III Revolution, Socom: US Navy Seals, Socom II, Grand Theft Auto games, and many more. The PS2 has the biggest variety of games. You just have to find one (or more, hopefully) game(s) that fits your style. The only problem is that most games cost a good deal of money, so do check prices as well.

Graphics and Sound 8/10

The PS2 was clearly outdone by the Xbox as far as graphics. I had played James Bond 007: Nightfire on the Xbox first, then i saw my friend play on his PS2. Believe me, there was a big difference! Nightfire is also available for the Gamecube, and I'd like to try it as well. However, I assume the GC version to be better. While Final Fantasy X has amazing graphics, it's assumed the PS2 will not be able to trump those graphics. Many games don't even come close to FFX. Basically, the PS2 has the old PSX on-screen capabilities but somewhat improved.

As for the sound, it is adequate. There's not really much to sound competition, but the PS2 would take a close second or third among all the consoles. If you are fortunate enough to have surround sound and a way to hook it up to your PS2, you'll be amazed at how cool the sound is compared to mono or stereo. But that is the normal for most modern systems. Once you're playing, you won't care too much about the sounds, as long as they're alright.

Design and Looks 9/10

Black is a cool color for a system, especially the PS2. If you prefer to stand it as a tower, you don't really need a vertical stand unless it could be knocked over by accident. Or you can lay it flat with the logo facing up. There's no right or wrong way to place it.

The PS2 is safe from pesky people who like to open things up and destroy them. Rubber and plastic pieces cover the eight screws (some versions have more). The rubber pads also aid in keeping your PS2 in place horizontally.

The controller and memory card ports are the same as the PSX. Its power and eject buttons are placed at the top. A main power switch in back must first be turned on though. The disk drive is ejected by the button as long as the main power switch is on. For vertical PS2 players, myself included, there's a ledge on the bottom of the CD drive so the disc won't fall out.

Features 7/10

The PS2 can play music CD's and DVD's, which is cool. It also can play PSX games, as mentioned before. However, PSX memory cards and controllers are not compatible with the PS2. You'll need an 8-megabyte memory card since PSX is only one MB. As for controllers, you get one with purchase, but there's room for only one more. If you want four controller slots, you'll need a multitap, which is more money than you may want to spend.

Maintenance 3/10

The PS2 by far has the most internal problems. Most of them are classified as DREs, or Disc Read Errors. It is often very costly to fix, and sometimes you'll be better off getting another PS2. I have had two PS2s die on me, but hopefully the third time around will be better. There are self-repair manuals that you can buy but I don't recommend them since it doesn't always fix the problem. It is EXTREMELY important to get a warranty. This is the only way to be sure you won't overspend for repairs and replacements. Be sure if you do have a warranty to keep the piece of tape on the back attached because that is the warranty tape, and if you do peel it off, YOUR WARRANTY WILL BE VOIDED! Do not make the same mistake I did. And since the warranty tape prevents you from opening up the system without being voided, do not mess with the inside. You could very easily snap the power cable and ruin your PS2 for good.

Overall...

I would recommend getting yourself a Playstation 2, no matter how many times it may frustrate you because you can't seem to get it to work. The gameplay is well worth it. I give this a score of 3.6/5, which is a 7 of 10. If it weren't for the lousy DREs it would have gotten a 9. Regardless, a 7 s still good.

Reviewer's Score: 7/10 | Originally Posted: 08/05/04