"Sony evolves the gaming industry yet again"

Sony evolves the gaming industry yet again

Introduction-

When the first PS1 came out, I think everyone was taken by surprise. Sony, a newcomer to the gaming business actually beat Nintendo on their first try at a console. Well, Sony has come back with a new console. This console is called the Playstation 2. I could probably write essays on how great and awesome this console is. I'll try to condense into just a few sections though.

Graphics- 10/10

Absolute perfection, I thought the PS1 had great graphics, but Sony once again proves me wrong by helping the gaming industry evolve once again. Right out of the gate PS2 had great looking games like Kessen. I fainted when I first saw them they were so amazing. Games already out like Gran Turismo 3, Ratchet and Clank, Jak, along with other games have already showcased what the PS2 is capable of doing and that the PS2 can still compete with the other consoles on terms of graphics. Upcoming games like Gran Turismo 4 and Metal Gear Solid 3 are just further proof that the PS2 is can still stay graphically on par to the Gamecube and the Xbox. While we haven't seen any “Toy Story quality graphics” as Sony promised, overall, the graphics on the PS2 have been top of the line.

Audio- 10/10

Technically, the PS2 can very well stand up to the competition this generation. Many games from this gen have had awesome music. Favorites of mine in this category that are only on the PS2 are Kingdom Hearts, Final Fantasy X, Final Fantasy X-2, Disgaea, and there are so many more that I can't even think of right now. Overall, some of the best video game music is only on the PS2.

Controller- 10/10

No complaints here, I loved the original PS1 controller and was happy to hear that Sony would pretty much keep the same design. Everything is so neatly placed and in easy access. The analogue sticks respond well and the button presses work like perfection. There are a few new changes from the original controller things like. First off, all the buttons on the PS2 controller are pressure sensitive (except the start and select), this means that the harder you press a button, depending on the game there may be little differences like in football games, the harder you press the button, the harder you throw the football. Also, L3 and R3 buttons are new which are located underneath the analogue sticks, these buttons are sometimes accidentally pressed during gameplay, but it only happened to me very few times.

Functionality- 10/10

DVD player, CD player, the ability to play PS1 and PS2 games, and great online games all in one package! Man, bless Sony for such innovation. Backwards capability alone gave this section a 10/10. Really the only complaint most people have in this category is that there are only 2 controller ports but in reality, it is actually CHEAPER to play four player multiplayer on the PS2 then it is on the Gamecube (Nintendo's console for this gen). For the Gamecube you need to buy 3 controllers (each controller costs about 25 dollars), which is roughly around 75 dollars. For the PS2 all you need is a multitap and 3 PS1 controllers (which run roughly around only 10 dollars) thanks to backwards capability, this equals to roughly about only 65 dollars but can get even cheaper if you already owned a PS1. (Which you should after all)

Games- 10/10

WOW! What an awesome game selection! The sheer number of great PS2 games is quite overwhelming. The place where the PS2 really shines though, is in it's RPGs, with practically all of Sqares games on the PS2, if you're a RPG fan, you can't go wrong with the PS2. Of course not all of the PS2's best games this generation are RPGs, the PS2 also has other great exclusive non-RPGs. Some of my favorites found only on the PS2 are the Three Kingdoms series, Jak, Ratchet and Clank, Disgaea, Phantom Brave, Guitaroo-Man, Onimusha 3, Culdcept, ICO, Dark Cloud 2, Monster Rancher and a few others I'm forgetting. The PS2 still has a very strong up coming line up with great games that have just recently come out such as Shadow Hearts: Covenant, Sly 2, Katamari Damacy, among many others. The PS2 also still has many promising games still in its line up such as Metal Gear Solid 3, Killzone, the new Ratchet and Clank and also the new Jak. Overall, the future of the PS2 is looking incredibility bright and it has games to satisfy players of every genre. I can't wait to see what else is in store for this great console.

Console Durability/Reliability- 10/10

I've heard many people say that their PS2 have broken down for no reason, but for me, I've never had a single problem with it. I don't even know what a DRE screen looks like so from my personal experience, I'm giving this a perfect score.

Overall- 10/10

I've really enjoyed play the PS2 and it has quickly become my favorite console of all time. It has all the great games I would ever want to play; it has great graphics, sound, and functions too. The only people who hate on this console are anti-Sony/PS2 fanboys.

Reviewer's Score: 10/10 | Originally Posted: 10/01/04