Review by Renzoruken

"Just because it looks good doesn't mean it is..."

Ah here we have a button mashing game. First time I saw Bujingai was on Cinematech on G4TechTV (the Japanese version of the game). It looked great, the sword fighting was great. The main character was modeled after and voiced by famous J-Pop singer Gackt. I didn't think it would come out here in the US but it did. I rented it 3 weeks after it came out.

Graphics: 8/10 - The graphics are good for its time. All the fighting effects are nice and smooth. Character designs are ok I guess, there's only 4 human characters that you see in the game and the rest are demons. The environments aren't that well detailed, everything gets repetitive, you either run on walls to get to your destination, jump and glide from one plat form to another, etc.

Sound: 3/10 - Lets put it this way, your character doesn't talk at all, the most you'll hear him speak is calling out his magic attacks. Other than that, all you'll hear is grunts and such. The music is below average, it's like any other game of its type. You get some near decent background music and that's about it. The other characters' voices are ok and nicely done.

Gameplay/Controls: 4/10 - First time you start the game up, after seeing all the creator logos and such, you get taken straight into the battle. Since you don't know any of the controls yet you get to test everything out. You have your normal attack button, second attack button, magic attack, jump, lock on, change lock on, move, and reset camera button. That's basically all you need to know and all you need to use to play the game. So when you're fighting, you use dual swords, the fighting style is where this game is unique. If you ever saw a video preview of this game, you'll notice that the fighting is really unique. Everything is flashy and looks good, but later it'll get repetitive.

Replayability: 4/10 - The most time it'll take for you to beat this game once is about 10 hours or less. Then you can play it in hard or very hard mode as you unlock them. Since the fighting gets really repetitive, you'll probably be bored after one playthrough.

Overall: 4/10 - I expected a better game after seeing the video preview. Sometimes, the game gets so hard it'll make you wanna break your controller or the game disc (of course I can't do that because it belongs to Blockbuster lol).

Rent/Buy? - Rent, just rent it once and you'll finish the game and get tired of it. That's all I have to say.

Reviewer's Score: 4/10 | Originally Posted: 09/06/04