Review by kindred thug

"Look at me, I imitate Capcom!"

This was sort of an impulse rental. I was scrolling through the racks at my local Blockbuster and I saw this. I had heard it was pretty good from my friends so I decided to give it a whirl. What I discovered was the most blatant rip off of Devil May Cry and Onimusha I think could of possibly been done without having Capcom sue them.

Gameplay 8/10: The gameplay is nothing out of the ordinary. It is essentially a beatem up game where you go around jamming the square button for most enemies. You can use spells too but for the most part I found them to be inferior to what you can do with your swords. You power up your abilities by collecting orbs dropped by your enemies and that come from objects that you break. Once again, I have to stress the similarities to DMC and Onimusha. The one thing I did like was the defense/counter-attack action. If you are facing an enemy and he/she/it attacks you, you will automatically go into swordplay and your defense meter will decrease. However you can then press the attack button (Square) and launch a counter attack. Your defense meter recharges relatively quickly if you are not defending. Similarly you can do this with a magic attack and launch it back but it will take your entire mana bar. You refill that by damaging enemies with your swords. Overall it is fun to play and I thought it would be since I have played games like it before.

Graphics 8/10: Very nice graphics. The effects and particles were very well done. Good textures and no collision problems or clipping from what I could see. It is pretty bright most of the time for this kind of game. I've grown accustomed to dark and dreary for this genre but this game wasn't that way.

Sound 6/10: The sound effects were adequate. One sound effect you will get used to hearing is the sound it makes at the beginning of every level and puts kanji on the screen. The music was decent. It wasn't bad but I didn't find myself remembering any of it 2 days after I returned it. But this is not always a bad thing. I've played some games that just had the wrong music for certain parts of the game and it conveyed the wrong message. Everything had a distinct japanese sound to it which fits the story well.

Story 5/10: In a word, forgettable. For the first five or so levels I really had no idea what was going on aside from I was supposed to kill everything that moved. And now after beating it only 4 days ago, I am already hazy on the story behind it. It's not all that uncommon though as many games of this type or driven by action more than their storylines.

Originality 2/10: Do I really need to explain this score? If you have played Devil May Cry or Onimusha you have seen 90% of what this game has to offer. It's still fun to play but it seems like they are just trying to profit off another company by copying their game.

Replay Value 5/10: It can be fun to play through this again once you finish it. I have gone through the original Devil May Cry like 5 or 6 times. It's all a matter of preference. I barely had time to go through the first few levels again and I had to return it but I could see myself picking it up again for a while because the gameplay is fun to just play around with.

Overall 5/10: This game is very good looking and fun to play. If this were back in 2000 I would probably give it an 8 or 9 but because it is such a carbon copy I simply cannot award that to it now.

Reviewer's Score: 5/10 | Originally Posted: 09/07/04