Review by Numan_lord

"Shin Akuma strikes again!"

I was a very big fan of Capcom vs. SNK 2 so when I seen SVC: Chaos I didn't hesitate to buy it at all, and for a price of $20.00 it was all worth it.

Graphics: 8 / 10
The graphics in this game have the right to receive some criticism this time on SNK's part due to the fact that the majority of their characters have been copied and pasted from older SNK fighting games I'm talking KOF '95-97 looking sprites we have here. The backgrounds in this game are quite dull too, not exciting at all. The real shine in the graphics department is definitely the new smooth looking Capcom characters like Akuma, Ryu and Demitri and new SNK characters like Mr. Karate, Athena and Mars People. The newer characters in this game give the graphics the fairly high score.

Sound: 7 / 10
The sound in this game is also relatively decent. All the characters talk (mostly Japanese :P ) when they fight and even in their intros (Not the on screen readable intros). The music is pretty good too it all tends to suit the not so great scenery your characters battle within. The music at times can be quite dull itself but only in some instances like the final stage where you fighter either Serious Mr. Karate or Shin Akuma. I was expecting more epic music for two epic bosses. The secret bosses Red Arremer and Athena have decent music for their stages. Athena's heavenly music suits her stage well and Red Arremer's spooky music suits his fine too.

Storyline: 7 / 10
The storyline isn't all too great it is just a dream match game with different universal characters battling it out to see who is stronger. But it seems to work in the end.

Characters: 8 / 10
The character roster in this game is pretty much “A” standard material. We have on the SNK side a mixture of KOF, Samurai Shodown, Metal Slug, Athena, and Art of Fighting. On the Capcom side we have Street Fighter, II & III, Darkstalkers, Red Earth and Ghosts N' Goblins. Me seeing Red Arremer, Athena, Hugo and Demitri in this game just made everything all the more awesome considering they are all very unique and awesome characters. But knowing that my favourite fighting machine Shin Akuma was present baked the cake fore me. It would have been nice to see Gill in this game too but that never happened obviously.

Gameplay: 8 / 10
The game play is just like any other fighting game. But many Capcom fighting game fans would know that performing super moves requires a lot of skill and timing. With SNK fighting games they tend to just let loose all the big explosions an aura blasts like their's nothing to it. This can be a good thing and a bad thing. The good side you can do most moves with ease and totally own your opponent. The bad thing you can let loose moves you didn't mean too thus you will loose power bar levels stooping you from performing other stronger moves. You then have to fill your bar back up full and you may kill the opponent by accident while doing so if your accident move connected with them. The super arts in this game or Exceed moves as they are known are very powerful and can wipe an entire health bar clean from any character almost. This is why this game gives you two health bars per fight and to help out the balance so fights don't last a whole 2 seconds like in the very sad Samurai Shodown V. You can only use an exceed move if your character has lost one health bar and has a full 3 stock power bar. Also after using an exceed move whether it connects with the opponent or not you cannot use another exceed until your next opponent. The gameplay in this game is also much harder than most fighting games. So changing the difficulty settings won't give you a great difference at all. And trust me survival mode is just so very cheap you'll be flat out getting past the second fight. Myself having played as Shin Akuma in arcade mode and doing well; decided to take him into survival. But using him in this survival mode was a real eye opener to me considering I still haven't unlocked Red Arremer or Athena I have only just fought them and lost miserably to them both. :P

Replay Value: 8 / 10
Much like any fighting game you will always find yourself coming back for another decent dose. Even if this game is quite hard the unique character roster and onscreen readable feud intros make it all worthwhile.

Overall: 8 / 10
Basically this is kind of like SNK's version of Capcom vs. SNK 2 and although not as impressive as that game, it has a lot of unique characters and gameplay elements only found in this fighting game. It's definitely worth a play.

Reviewer's Score: 8/10 | Originally Posted: 02/27/09, Updated 08/05/10

Game Release: SVC Chaos: SNK vs. Capcom (EU, 04/15/05)