Review by VivalaBoard04

"Worth Every Red Cent....or Green Dollar"

So it's been 15 years already? It's about time for an anniversary collection! Play as Mega Man (of course) through his first 8 adventures on one disc! All the controls are the same and even the graphics are the same! New additions you ask? Well shove this in your food hole: you get remixed music (PS2 only) , 2 bonus games where you fight all Mega Man's bosses, a new Navigational tool which helps out all the newbies out there who have never played a Mega Man game, special artwork, and a bonus episode of the original Mega Man animated series (PS2 only).

Flawless compared to the original games. Every detail is taken to recreate the amazing series that was once on the NES and Super NES. No stone was left unturned.

Sound and Music: 10/10

A breath of fresh air for the classic NES games. The music sounds beautiful and remains exciting while you defeat the tough enemies or try to jump on those retracting platforms (Iceman, MM1). My favorite level music you ask? Wood Man, MM2. However "sorry" doesn't even begin to apologize for some horrible voice dubbing on the intro movie for MM8.

Controls: 10/10

Short and Sweet. Use the X button to jump and the Square button to fire. Holding the Square button charges the gun and Triangle uses a new Auto fire setting and fires three shots at a time. Pressing the down+ X button lets you slide, which comes in handy with jumping bosses/enemies. A new addition to the games is you can use the shoulder buttons to switch weapon attachments or Rush parts. A very useful attachment if you ask me. But other than that, the controls and very simple to use and the shoulder button switch makes itself useful.

Game play: 9/10

Very tough to judge. The game is very fun but sometimes on the longer levels or tougher levels (Flash Man, MM2). For newbies it can get very distressing, mostly because 1. you cant shoot up and 2. you can't duck (thanks to my sis who had never played a Mega Man game before). Like I said previously, the game can be very hard at some points. Using the Flash Man example, after passing an area where powerful lasers fly at you at fast speeds you MUST use the Time Stopper ability, which doesn't even last the whole time of the area, then it must be filled up again at the last area of the level before you face the boss where the enemies are VERY tough. But enough of my whining; the Navigation option is very useful to everyone, especially newbies, giving you tips on the room you are in or the upcoming boss.

I had to give the game a 9 because of those times where the controller had to be thrown in sheer frustration.

Rent or Buy: If you loved the original Mega Man series and don't already have all the games on your emulator (you know who you are) then definitely pick this one up. If you loved the Mega Man X series, then still buy it but you'll be in for an unpleasant surprise. If you've never played a Mega Man game, rent it first and take a deep breath of nostalgia. If you've ever mowed your lawn and found a car, then you might be a redneck.

Reviewer's Score: 9/10 | Originally Posted: 06/26/04