Review by plasmabeam

"Mega Man fans get a fantasic anniversary gift"

I must say that this is one of the best compilations around. It's got all eight of the original series's games, two arcade fighters that were never release in the U.S., and plenty of bonus material. At the cheap MSRP of $30, every Mega Man fan should pick this up. It's truly a must-have.

Graphics - 9/10
Everything in every game looks exactly as it did in each game. The NES games still have the classic 8-bit graphics, and MM7 and MM8 have the SNES and PS1 graphics. Many Mega Man fans will be glad that Capcom didn't mess around with the graphics, because it's good for nostalgia.

Sound - 8/10
Most of the Mega Man games have good music and sound. There's a bunch of upbeat and catchy tunes throughout the series. Like the graphics, nothing has really changed here. The voice acting in MM8 is still awful.

Control - 9/10
One of the Mega Man strengths is control. With an exception of MM1 (feels a little slippery), the games feel comfortable. The buttons for shooting and jumping are responsive. I also like how Capcom gave us a rapid-fire option for MM1 through MM6. It makes the game more enjoyable. You can also use the circle button to slide in MM3 through MM6. That is sometimes more effective then down + X. However, if you still want to play old school style (free of the added controls), you can.

Gameplay - 10/10
With an exception of the two fighting games, every game in the collection is worth playing. The games range from decent to excellent with MM2 and MM3 being the most popular. Each game automatically saves after you beat a boss or get game over. It's great, because it allows gamers to not have to spend three or four straight hours trying to beat MM1. It also frees us from the passwords. The games are all great, although they get repetitive. After you play a few of them, you'll notice that Capcom stuck really close to the basic formula.

For those of you that never got the chance to play a Mega Man game, I'll explain it to you. You play as Mega Man, a robot boy, and you blast your way through levels until you reach a boss. If you beat the boss, you'll receive a special weapon. Every boss has a weakness to one of the special weapons, and it's your job to figure out which weapon to use on certain bosses. After you beat all the main bosses (there's usually 8), you'll go through a few more levels. You eventually fight the mad scientist Dr. Wily and win the game. Repeat that seven more times, and you have Mega Man Anniversary Collection.

Overall - 9/10
There are plenty of extras in MMAC. You can see episodes of the Mega Man cartoon, listen to remixed music, and look at artwork. There's also an options menu that allows you to set the difficulty (Easy or Normal) for MM1 through MM7, set the number of lives that you start with, and enable MM8's Navi Mode. The only things I didn't really like about MMAC were the two fighting games. They weren't horrible, but they felt dull. I highly recommend this game to anyone who has played Mega Man games or would like to give them a shot. With a $30 price tag, you can't go wrong.

Reviewer's Score: 9/10 | Originally Posted: 07/13/04