Review by Mega Man 5

"Good collection. Could use a few more improvements, however."

Last year on June 22 Capcom released the Mega Man Anniversary Collection for both the Nintendo GameCube and PS2. The project was for Atomic Planet Entertainment and they ported 10 classic Mega Man games all on one disc, all from the original/classic series: Mega Man 1-6, Mega Man 7, Mega Man 8 and two rare Mega Man arcade games. This was definitely one of Capcom's greatest ideas. I have rented the PS2 version of the collection many times, and thought it was pretty decent. Here's my review for the game:

Play Control: 9/10

The same controls that all PlayStation Mega Man games have, so most people think these are better than the GameCube versions reversed controls. I for one disagree with those people. I find the controls here are no better or worse than the GCN version. I got extremely used to the GameCube controls in my first 15 minutes of playing that version, and found those controls to be slightly more responsive. Overall the PS2 controls are good since jump is the X button and shoot is square, and I've been used to these controls ever since I first played Mega Man 8 in 1999.

Animation: 7/10

Since this collection is mostly the NES Mega Man games, the animation gets a 7. The animation is all pretty much the same in the NES games, Mega Man 7 is quite a bit better and the animation is incredibly fluid, Mega Man 8 probably has the best animation and is a little better than Mega Man 7, Mega Man: The Power Battle has the same animation as Mega Man 7, and Mega Man 2: The Power Fighters is also pretty much the same as Mega Man 7 with only slight improvements.

Well, these are mostly classic Mega Man games from the NES. None of them look so realistic, but that's definitely not a bad thing. All the NES games have the same graphics as their originals. I suppose Mega Man 7 and Mega Man 8 still have impressive graphics, with backgrounds and levels that are improved greatly over the NES games and have a much better use of color (But they are a little bit too bright and colorful IMO.). The Arcade games, Mega Man: The Power Battle and Mega Man 2: The Power Fighters, have basically the same quality graphics as Mega Man 7. Power Fighters, however, is a bit of an upgrade.

Music/sound effects: 8/10

All of the music is here. You can also get remixed soundtracks by turning a Navi Mode option on. By turning this option on Mega Man 1-6 will have remixed soundtracks, but Mega Man 1-3 only have some remixed music and 98% of those is music taken from Mega Man 2: The Power Fighters. Nothing special. But Mega Man 4-6 have fully remixed soundtracks. Some of the music in those games are also from Power Fighters, but most of the music is new.....to the U.S. and Canada that is. The reason are say that is because the Mega Man 4-6 remixes are from a Mega Man collection from Japan called "Rockman Complete Works". In Mega Man 5 and Mega Man 6 these remixes are also loud and scratchy sounding due to some crap porting. Some of the sound effects in the NES games are high pitched, deeper sounding and completely different sounding. As for Mega Man 7, I've heard there's a few sound effect issues in the PS2 version like when Mega Man charges his Mega Buster a weird sound instead of the original charge up sound is heard. I own the GCN version of MMAC and have been playing it since the day it was released in June last year and there are no sound issues in Mega Man 7 in the GCN version, except for a loud boss battle music, and quieter Junk Man music which are also present here in the PS2 version.

GamePlay: 7/10

Good. By playing the games and defeating certain robot masters you can unlock bonus features including artwork and an American Mega Man cartoon episode. The gameplay in the games are the same and no different. I really hated the Mega Man cartoon episode, though. It's an episode from the 1994 American Mega Man cartoon. The episode is the first episode, called "The Beginning". This episode has quite a bit of compression (Which distorts the picture) and the colors are washed out. The sound quality also isn't great. The PS2 version does not have the Interview from the GameCube version, the Mega Man cartoon episode is no where near as good and the video and sound quality also isn't as good as well. The best thing to do is buy this cartoon episode on DVD. This episode is also incredibly common, and can also be found on VHS. DVD sets can also be found with much better picture and sound quality than what you see and hear in the version of the episode here in the PS2 version of MMAC. Anyway, there's also rare artwork and a few Mega Man music tracks which are good unlockables. As for the games, some things in Mega Man 7 have changed. There are some glitches in the third Dr. Wily stage in that are that aren't present in the GameCube version or the original SNES version: sometimes the game will just freeze at certain points, and there is also an annoying boss lock-up glitch that can sometimes occur that cause the boss not to appear. I hate these glitches, and it makes Mega Man 7 a bit less fun to play.

I recommend getting the GameCube version of Mega Man Anniversary Collection if you have a GameCube. The PS2 version has remixed soundtracks, but many of those are from MM2: The Power Fighters and the remixes in Mega Man 5 and 6 are loud and scratchy. And the Interview in the GCN version is much better than the cartoon episode because the Interview has better picture quality, better sound quality and is a History of all Mega Man series and even shows more rare artwork that you don't get in the unlockable artwork. Also, none of the Mega Man 7 glitches mentioned above are in the GameCube version and are also not in the original SNES version, making Mega Man 7 a bit better in the GCN version of MMAC. Finally, the load times are quite a bit faster in the GameCube version (7 seconds for the NES games, 4 seconds for Mega Man 8, etc.). Rent the PS2 version if you want to try it out.

Reviewer's Score: 7/10 | Originally Posted: 06/20/05