Review by MetalSlugMan

"It's like Devil May Cry... Only not..."

Yes, dear gamers, this is another game based on a "blockbuster" movie. However, I must say this is the best movie-based game I've played in a long while. I could take a venture and say that you PS2 gamers out there have played Devil May Cry (DMC). Well, let's just say, if you liked it, you might wanna check this out.

Well, the movie didn't fare too well in this section either. It's the basic "find him, do that, save her, kill him" plot. Nothing special here. Of course, Frankie's Monster, Dracula, the Wolfman, and other spawn of Satan make an appearance as well.

They actually aren't bad. The only beef I have with it is the look of Van Helsing. He only kind of looks like Hugh Jackman. If Jackman put on an extra few pounds to is face, this character would be a spitting image of him. I also don't like the walking animation (viewable through the opening sequence). It looks too jerky, and makes Van Helsing look like he has a limp. Other than that, the game looks fairly spectacular. I love the backdrops.

Like I hinted at earlier, the game plays like a Devil May Cry clone. While slaying enemies, you have the choice of a melee weapon and a ranged weapon. The melee weapons are short in selection: the Tojo Blades and the Duel Scimitars. The ranged weapons, however, have more of a selection: Dual Pistols, Shotgun, Crossbow, Lighting Gun, Gatling Gun, and a Rifle/Elephant Gun. Most of the weapons have an "alternate", more powerful form, which Helsing can use for a short period at a time.

I hated the platforming sequences. The grappling hook makes things easier, but at one point in the game you are forced to do manual platforming in order to get a (unnecessary) power-up/cheat. The camera also poses problems at times.

The game gets a bit repetitive as well, even though a person can finish it in about 2.5-3 hours their first time. Every time I replay the game, I notice my completion time decreases. I can currently finish the game in about an hour of play-time.

Replay Value: 7/10

The developer makes an attempt to add replay value. There are certain doors that can only be opened on your second time through, and, in turn, cheats that can only be obtained by completing the game multiple times. Most "impulse buyers" will find themselves playing through several times, looking for something that can make up for them spending fifty dollars on the game.

With all gameplay flaws aside: this game is just too short. My advice is to not buy this game, but rent it, since the average person can finish it in less than three hours. Spend the 45 bucks you've got left after the rental, and buy some movies... They'll entertain you longer.

Reviewer's Score: 7/10 | Originally Posted: 05/30/04