Review by ShEEpDuDE86

"Great mix...if you like old songs"

A follow-up to its monstrous predecessor, DDR Extreme, one would expect Party Collection to rise up to Extreme's level and deliver a great collection of songs, old and new, and a mix of modes to satisfy the hardcore DDRer. After all, this could (and probably will) be the last Japanese DDR game ever made, right? Well, DDRPC falls way short of most people's expectations. In fact, it's almost a disappointment. But it does have its ups...just in moderation.

Gameplay is the same as always. And that's a problem. DDRPC has nothing new to offer in terms of modes, difficulties, or basically anything. Beginner, Light, Standard, and Heavy modes are present, along with Challenge difficulty, Oni mode, Nonstop mode, and Endless mode, a la DDR Extreme style. There's really nothing new to say, but I'd like to point out that there are only 3 songs with Challenge difficulties on the cd (hmm...)

Songs: 6/10

To put it simply, the songlist is OLD. Don't expect a refreshing blend of newer MAX and Extreme songs, because that's not what you'll get at all. Basically, all the 'good' songs have been recycled from the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd mixes, with a few 'newer' songs blended in between (by newer, I mean 5th mix). Let's Get Down? Get Up'N Move? 5.1.1? I bet these were really popular in 1999 but I really don't want to play them now. Of course AM-3P and Silent Hill are included, because they're two of the worst song you'll ever play and they're included in almost every mix ever made. Aside from that, there are a *few* new songs that are worth mentioning. Sky High by DJ Miko makes an appearance (oddly, it was absent from DDR Extreme), as well as FIVE Originals. Freedom, Stars (2nd naoki's style), I Need You (insideout door mix), Can Be Real, and Paranoia -respect-. Sadly there isn't much to say about these in general, but Freedom is becoming my favorite BeForYou song, and Paranoia Respect, being a 10 footer, is sure to entertain some pros for a few days. But on the whole, I really have to say that this songlist sucks. (Apologies to r&p, matsuri japan, and witch doctor)

Yeah yeah the graphics are good, some songs have FMVs, the background videos are crisp and the dancers are well drawn. I think that about sums it up.

The message I was trying to get across is: don't waste your money on this. Sure, it's fun for a while, and of course if you're a hardcore ddrer than you're going to want to buy this, but this is NOT recommended for the casual player or the newbie. If you want to play good songs, buy ddr extreme or ddrmax jp.

Reviewer's Score: 7/10 | Originally Posted: 04/12/04