Review by mybadlife

"Killer 7 is definitely a game to add to your collection, unless you don't have a PS2 or a Gamecube."

Killer 7 is one of the most interesting games that came to the Sony Playstation 2. It WAS suppose to be a Gamecube “exclusive”, but we all know what's up with Capcom. Though I do have to give props to Capcom for releasing this cool game for the PS2, also.

The Story:
You take on the role as 1 of the 7 killers (hence, the title). As 1 of the killers, you are engaged into different missions. During these missions, you have to get rid of these monsters called Heaven Smiles. The story is deeper than that, but I don't want to spoil anything for anyone.

The graphics: 10/10
Using cel-shading, this whole game looks like a comic book. It's good. No blind corners, no weird angles, and here's my favorite, you can't get lost. Though there are some certain parts that aren't for the weak at heart.

The sound: 9/10
You will need to keep the volume up to a certain level. The Smiles are invisible, and the only way to notice them would be by their laughs. As long as the volume on your TV is at a decent rate, you should be able to hear the laughs.

Gameplay/Controls: 7/10
The controls could be a pain in the back at the beginning. Though when you get used to it (whenever that is), it can barely be called decent. Basically, you run around and shoot the Smiles. You press X button to run instead of the analog stick. The 180-Degree turn, which was introduced in Resident Evil, is back, and is actually useful. While running, the camera angle is kind of “behind-under” the character that you are using, aiming up-and-forward (sorry, but I really don't know how to describe it). When you hear laughs, you aim, scan, and shoot in first person view. After a while, most people will think that it is repetitive. This is based on the fact that the Smiles don't attack. As long as you shoot fast enough, there's no way the Smiles can come close to you. You can also switch to any of the characters during any mission, which I find to be a nice touch. Why? You aren't stuck with using the same character throughout a mission (which, I might add, are not short).

Replay value: 5/10
After you finish the game once, you get another harder mode. There is suppose to be another game mode after the harder mode, but than, that's it. No special weapons, no costumes, etc.

Rent/Buy:
Buy. I don't think one can finish the game on a 5-day rental. This is based on the fact that it will take 30+ hours to finish the game.

The bottom line: 9/10
I'd love to give this game a 10, but the controls and replay values told me not to. Other than that, this is still one solid game that Cube and PS2 owners shouldn't leave out of their collection.

Reviewer's Score: 9/10 | Originally Posted: 07/11/05