Review by solidsnakeRAY

"Dude of Fights"

God of War is an action/adventure game that has lots of elements in it that aren't always part of other action games. It has quite a few puzzles, along with some interesting magic attacks that you would expect to see in an RPG. None can doubt this game's true strength though, which is in the stronger-than-usual story, the sounds and the obvious fast-paced battles.

The story starts off with Kratos, a mortal, trying to find his “escape.” The Goddess Athena comes to him and tells him that Ares, the God of war, is destroying the city of Athens and that he alone must stop him. Kratos has a history with Ares, which gets revealed, and the plot flows well with Kratos's struggle to obey the Gods and stay true to his revenge. There isn't a ton of depth to it, but there usually isn't in an action game such as this.

The Greek theme provides a refreshing change from the usual, and Kratos himself is not your typical hero. He goes deeper than most other characters in this genre, and I think it was good of the creators to include depth in him.

Voices in the game are very well done, which include Linda Hunt as the Narrator, TC Carson as Kratos, and Steve Blum as Ares. They do a good job at matching the appropriate voice to the appropriate character.

While it may not be 100% accurate, the scenery in this game is beautiful, and captures the era in all of its glory. Huge statues of the Gods, big structures with intricate carvings, stone homes, and a diverse set of environments which include the desert and underwater. The cut-scenes are done quite well, and the expressions of Kratos and the people he talks to are some of the best I've seen in an action game.

The game comes with a truly powerful soundtrack that sounds as though it could have come straight from the time of the Greeks. Loud, hollow drums and pure singing really add to the experience and will have you in awe while you play. A code to get the soundtrack for free is included, and I would suggest that you take Sony up on it and download it.

I think one component of the gameplay in GOW that made it so fun was the Dual Blades (or Blades of Chaos, as they are called in the game) that Kratos wears. This type of weapon hasn't really been seen in a game before, at least not in any game that I've played. Combos with these blades are smooth and fluent, with interesting graphical effects when you end a combo, or pull off a finisher on an enemy. They work almost like whips, as the combos usually revolve around spinning them up, down, and around to slash all enemies.

There are of course, other offensive means in the game. You can different weapons allows you to do more traditional combinations,.

Magical attacks are some of the most powerful attacks in the game. There are four possible magic attacks you can obtain, each one having their own use in the game. The addition of magic is nice, as there usually is not a lot of that in these types of games. Hades, Zeus, and Poseidon all give you their own special ability; I'll leave that up to you to find out what they are.

An upgrade system was included to increase the potential power and abilities of all your attacks, magical or weapon. Each enemy or item you destroy will leave you with a trail of red orbs, which you pick up. You can trade these orbs in simply by pressing your start button and selecting the weapon you wish to upgrade. With upgrades comes a more powerful weapon/magical ability, and with certain things, new moves.

Difficulty seems to be an issue for some people, but for the casual gamer, the level is perfect. Four modes to choose from, but only the last mode will really push you. The good thing about that is you won't end up breaking your controller over frustration about not being able to defeat a boss, or having to get passed an annoying part in a level. There are infinite continues though, so as soon as you reach a checkpoint, you are good. You don't have to restart a level every time you die.

Replay Value: 7/10

Not an incredibly strong area here, since you can get through the game on normal in 7-10 hours, and the only mode that unlocks a lot of stuff is GOD mode, which is unlocked by defeating a previous difficulty. It's fun while it lasts though, and depending on how you play it, it can last awhile.

The Rating

This is a section on the rating of the game. I felt it might be a good idea to include this so people can know what's actually in the game. The rating on the box says it is rated M for the following: Blood and Gore, Intense Violence, Nudity, Strong Language, Sexual Themes. There is quite a bit of blood and gore in this game. Every enemy you come across can be stabbed through the face, decapitated, or ripped in half, and every single one of these results in a splatter of red matter. The cut-scenes can also be quite brutal. There is nudity in the game, but only breasts and nipples. Every woman you come across will most likely be topless, and one of the enemies is as well. Aside from the sex minigame (which you can skip), the nudity is tasteful and portrays how women might dress during the Greek era. I'm not trying to justify it, but in the game, it makes sense. Obviously this is also the reason for the Sexual Themes. Strong Language I have yet to hear. Maybe it's somewhere in the bonus content, but as far as the game is concerned, it isn't in there.

This game only has one weak point, and that is it can get repetitive at times. Other from that, it is an action game which has a good story, a great soundtrack, solid gameplay, and will keep you preoccupied for awhile. For this, I give it a 9/10, and I would recommend you rent this game, if not buy it. Hopefully I gave you some insight on what this game is like.

Reviewer's Score: 9/10 | Originally Posted: 03/29/05