Review by xxnike629xx

"What Are You Waiting For?"

Gameplay
The most important aspect of the game. The gameplay in the game is flawless. The game does an excellent job with it and the button layout for the various action commands are very easy to learn. The very short load times also make the action of the game seemless which just makes the game even better!! There are these cool moments where you have to pretty buttons in sequences or repeatedly to kill off a big enemy. It's pretty cool watching Kratos kill off enemies like that. It's soo brutal. But it's all to give the audience (us gamers ^^) a feeling of how vicious and cold-hearted times where back in Ancient Greece. The cast used for the voice acting is amazing also.
10/10

Graphics
The graphics in the game are amazing. This game looks like an Xbox game in that SCEA really seemed to go the extra mile to provide us with epic graphics to depict Greek mythology. It's just something that you need to see for yourself to understand what all these reviewers are talking about. It's that amazing. From the swinging of weapons, the special effects of the magic, the fmv sequences, to even the title screen. SCEA really did go all out with this game and it proved to be completely worth it. The puzzles in the game are fairly easy. Some require some thinking (or just a few clicks to see the answers on GFaqs...^^).
10/10

Storyline
Well, it's not that innovative or great in that we've all pretty much most of Greek mythology. Don't get me wrong, the plot is still great. The game tells it in a very unique way. You take on the role of Kratos, a soldier. The game is played from his point of view in his quest to save Athens using the powers granted to him by the Greek gods.
08/10

Difficulty
This game can go from sickeningly easy to extremely irritatingly difficult. This is a good thing and a bad thing in that it provides casual gamers an awesome experience on the easier difficulties and "hardcore" gamers a big challenge. Just start the game on normal mode and make your way up to God Mode, which you will have "loads" of fun trying to get through. Don't think about starting the game on hard mode even if you're a veteran of action/adventure titles. The game gets hard a lot of the times.
08/10

Replay Value
The bad thing about the game is that nothing carries over from file to file. Also, the fact that you can't revisit previously beaten levels also is a shame. It would've been neat to go back and get the few items that you might've missed on your first time through. The only replay value that anyone can see in this game are the different difficulty modes and the little unlockables available for you to get for beating the various difficulty settings. The unlockables include things like new costumes, movies, etc; the usual action/adventure unlockables. For perfectionists, this is an awesome challege because the game requires you to complete all of the modes to get everything.
07/10

Verdict
If you liked playing...
Onimusha
Onimusha 2
Onimusha 3
Devil May Cry
Devil May Cry 2
Devil May Cry 3
Chaos Legion
...and other action/adventure titles like them then most likely there is a lot this game has to offer you. If you're pretty new to the action/adventure genre, then I suggest you give this game a purchase still....yes a purchase. It's that good even with its faults. So what are you still doing reading my review?! Go out there and buy yourself God of War ^^ The game is great and there's a high chance that you will love it all the way through!

Like I said before, the gameplay and graphics are amazing. Those 2 are the most important things in every game. Storyline is important too.

If you have any consideration on buying this game, then just go out there and do it. I thought that I was going to hate the game, but it seemed interesting with the whole Greek mythology action and stuff. It's great. I had my doubts but I gave this game a try and it turns out that the game was amazing. It was a big challege going through all the modes. God Mode is arguably one of the difficult modes in all videogames. But it's good to see how good you are at playing God of War when you're playing God Mode.

So just get yourself $50 and run out and get a copy of God of War. Just give it some time even if it seems pretty bad. Trust me, it's that good of a game and I'm sure you'll like it as much as I did.

Just a little warning though, the game itself is very violent and it contains a lot of suggested and shown sexual themes. So if you're not comfortable with these kind of things, I suggest you maybe give it a rent or just don't play it. The game does seem to put a strong emphasis on those 2 things. But it was all for the good of showing us how different times were in Ancient Greece.

Reviewer's Score: 9/10 | Originally Posted: 07/25/05