Review by XenoAngelus

"Short, yes. Multiplayer, yes. Horribly fun, without a doubt."

I've been playing the Ratchet and Clank series since it came out in oh..2001, 2002? My friend had the first one and I got interested, so I played it, and man was it fun, bolts, guns, and best of all things blowing up. Then about a year later Going Commando came out. I didn't even know about it until my friend had it. When I saw it...I was utterly AMAZED. Weapons upgrading, armor, more bolts, platinum bolts. It was like a dream. So I beat the second one and mastered it, did everything. Once I heard about Up Your Arsenal in Game Informer, my jaw dropped. 5 upgrades for weapons on the first play?! A RIFT INDUCER!?! RETURNING CHARACTERS?!........CAPTAIN QUARK!!! I just had to get it. So finally on November 3rd after a very happy election day, my mom came home with the game after I got home from school. I immediately played it, for 7 hours. It was nostalgia, amazement, awe, and every happiness imaginable for a game.

Graphics 10/10
This game really shines in the graphics department, and I mean literally. Environments are clear, maps are huge, enemies are shiny. The gun and weapon effects are how shall I say it....UBER. The plasma whip, just looked sooo cool. Then i upgraded it, it got blue...then purple and glowy! The spitting hydra had huge shocks, and the Ryno 3 just looked so damn cool. And I just have to mention the final armor, you just HAVE to see this.

Sound 10/10
The voice acting, sounds, hits, everything is great. The weapons make huge sounds when you pull the trigger, you can almost feel vibrations. The sounds make it sound like something crashed in the backyard, and you just don't care. The voice acting is superb, there is a lot of humor and seriousness here.

Gameplay 10/10
The gameplay is a huge part of a game, because well...we PLAY games don't we? I could not have beaten this, or Going Commando without the ALMIGHTY strafe command where you can hold a button and sidestep and sidejump, making evasion a second nature. There are guns galore, with some returning favorites...like my personal...favorite, the plasma coil/storm. And the lava gun, which doesn't have such a disappointing upgrade. Bolts are more plentiful, weapons can be upgraded up to 5 times in the first playthrough and in challenge mode, 3 more times. Making them "Giga" then "Omega".

Story 8/10
Ok the story is fine, but its not as complex as say Xenogears, or Suikoden. But what the hell, its a fun platformer. Dr. Nefarious, and old super villain wants to annihilate all organic life and take over the galaxy with another...huge contraption you have to destroy.

Replay Value 10/10
There is so much to do in this game. Upgrade all weapons, buy all the armor, get all trophies, skill points, titanium bolts, and skins.

Length 8/10
UYA is not as long as GC. It has about the same number of planets, but less to do on the planets. It does not take away from the fun value and gameplay.

Multiplayer 10/10
In my opinion this is where most of the focus went on in the fabulous little heads at Insomniac. Returning weapons, different skins, bases, turrets, robots, more guns, vehicles, and ONLINE!!

The option to receive a 10% gadgetron discount and free weapons from GC is a great payoff for having 1 and Going Commando. If you a veteran to the series, or a newbie you should try this game. If you like platforming, shooting, collectibles, fun, time consuming, and explosions, you should try this game.

Reviewer's Score: 9/10 | Originally Posted: 11/09/04