Review by invictus75

"Worth every penny..."

Ratchet and Clank 3 is your basic platform game for the Playstation 2. Playing the 2 prior games is not a must to get into this game, but it will help with the story. The game is very easy to just pick up and go.

Gameplay
Gameplay in Ratchet and Clank is by far the best part of the game. It is easy for hardcore gamers as well as new players to get the hang of it pretty quickly. Gameplay consist of blasting bad guys with a huge number of different weapons, collecting bolts (money), and trying to get all the secret hidden trophies and hidden bolts throughout the game. Sounds pretty simple, but keeping things simple sometimes works really well, and does so in this case. I cannot stress how fun this game is to play. Controls are simple, and as you get new equipment and gadgets you will be instructed on their use. There are lots of different weapons and gadgets, and the controls make it fairly easy to cycle through all the different ones. The options menu also has several different setups to choose from to change the setup of buttons.

Story
Story has been an important part of all the Ratchet and Clank games, and part 3 is no different. Ratchet and Clank 3s story basically revolves around our two heroes who must stop an evil villain named Dr. Nefarious from turning all the squishies into robots. Squishies, by the way, are living beings. Many characters from other Ratchet and Clank games appear throughout the game, including Captain Qwark, a cowardly "superhero". The cutscenes in the game are some of the funniest I have seen in a game in a very long time. I can't tell you how many one-liners that made me crack up laughing. They added much more comedy than Ratchet and Clank 1 had. Overall the story flows smoothly and never gets long and boring.

Graphics/Sound
This game looks great! Every planet you visit has great scenery and has its own feel to it. The character models are wonderful, as are the animations and cutscenes. My only gripe about the game I can find is there is the smallest bit of slowdown at some points. Mind you this is usually during the arena challenges and there are tons of things happening onscreen at once, but it never gets really bad it usually stops within a second or two. I have only seen this happen two times, but I did notice it. As far as sound goes, the voice acting in this game should be an example to other companies. With so much comedy in the game, they had to get the tone and timing of each line just right, and it is done perfectly. The music and sound effects are done very well and I can't find a complaint there of any kind.

Playtime/Replayability
The playtime of this game is decent (not including online) as it took me about 10 hours to get through the first time. It would have taken much longer to get all the secret items and unlock everything. Replay is good too as after you beat the game there is a challenge mode in which the game gets harder and you can get even better weapons than your first time through the game. Online mode makes the games replay even better than it would be.

Final Recommendation
I would recommend buying this game to everyone. It is very rare that you feel you have got your moneys worth nowadays and I feel great about this purchase. It also has a free online mode (I have yet to try) that makes this purchase even more worth the price. If you want a great platform game to sit down, play and laugh, this is your game!

Reviewer's Score: 9/10 | Originally Posted: 11/17/04