Review by Ocelot529

"What another Ratchet and Clank game?"

When I first bought Ratchet and Clank it was my favorite game for the PS2. Then I bought Going Commando and that was a great game as well. What I'm trying to say is that the people at Insomniac really know how to make a great game. Now Insomniac has decided to give another great game. Ratchet and Clank Up your Arsenal, the greatest game known to man. The first game was released in 2002 and the second was released a year later. The cycle goes on with the third in 2004. It looks like sports games aren't the only games released every year.

Now that I'm done boring you with history lets talk about story. The game takes place in a futuristic universe where creatures travel throughout different planets using spaceships and lasers and other futuristic things. You play as Ratchet a Lombax (a cat type thing ) and you have a sidekick clank who you use as a backpack. In this game though every one loves clank. He has his own TV show, Secret Agent Clank where Ratchet is a sidekick.

You collect various items and gadgets during the game. Now you don't press that back button just yet my little pookybear. This is not just like every other platformer out there where you collect fifty thousand Power Cells and then beat a boss and move on to a new area where you have to collect fifty thousand more. On this game you go to a planet. You explore the planet. And then you blow every living thing into little pieces with weapons that you buy with bolts. Bolts are the games currency. There are a whole bunch of weapons. Each weapon can be upgraded four times by using the weapon. My only complaint with this game is that you can buy an extremely expensive weapon at the start of the game. By the time you upgrade it the second time it is totally obsolete. But it not a very big problem considering there are a lot of weapons to gather.

The graphics in this game are incredible also. The environments are great. It really shows what the PS2 is capable of. I can't really say much about sound. I mean the explosions sound like they should. The voice acting in this game is really good. There are no characters that are just annoying to listen to unless they are meant to be.

Also this game is great to play over and over. You can experiment with the different weapons you use. One weapon I completely hated until I beat the game and upgraded it a whole bunch.

This game is harder than the previous games. If you haven't played any of the Ratchet and Clank games I suggest buying the first title. If you like it then spend that twenty bucks Aunt Bertha sent you last week and buy the second one. Now if you like that then you then you should buy the third one. Seriously this game is great. I think its worth the $39.99 I paid for it. That is why I gave it a 10/10.

Reviewer's Score: 10/10 | Originally Posted: 11/29/04