Review by Snake567

"Ratchet and Clank are back again in this fun-filled shooter/platformer"

The Ratchet and Clank series started out as a low-profile platforming game with a cartoony look and feel. This game stood out from all the rest because of its crazy array of weapons and humorous dialogue. Both of those traits carried to the sequel, Ratchet and Clank: Going Commando. That game also introduced the new ability to upgrade your weapons, rpg style. When a weapon got enough kills, it would upgrade to an improved version, often with a new special effect, more ammo capacity, and higher damage power. In the third installment in the series, Ratchet and Clank: Up Your Arsenal tops the previous two games an incredible amount.

First of all, weapons can be upgraded 4 times in the first play through, and 3 more your second time through for added replay value. There are 20 weapons, including five favorite weapons returning from last game. The hilarious morph-o-ray makes its glorious return, turning your enemies into ducks. As it upgrades into the qwack-o-blitzer, you can morph your enemies into flaming ducks that attack your other enemies. The RYNO also returns as the RY3NO, and upgrades to become the RYNOCIRATOR, what the Zodiac should've been last game. The screens flashes white and all non-boss enemies die, while bosses take considerable damage. However, it is only on sale after you have completed the game one time. It is very fun to upgrade and just play around with your weapons. There is no disappointment here.

The storyline in this game is a bit iffy, boasting no major plot twists. The game's story can be predicted fairly easily. However, there is a minor event that saves the story from being a waste of your time. It is worth listening and paying attention to the story, but don't be expecting anything too deep. Instead of an epic storyline, Insomniac has included many scenes that make you laugh out loud, even the tenth time through the game. I won't spoil any of your laughs, but be prepared for some funny cinemas. Speaking of cinemas, there is an overabundance of cinemas in this game. It seemed like two hours to me, the length of a full movie. After all that, you can be getting anxious to play. It shouldn't be a problem though.

What you've all been waiting for: gameplay. I have to say, the gameplay in this game does not slack off. It is very good, if a bit similar to the previous two games. The game is slightly harder this time around, so Insomniac has added two new controller modes in addition to the classic mode. Lock-strafe and FPS mode both share a half life control scheme, with lock-strafe being in third person. These two new modes help you a lot in your quest to save the qalaxy, as you can now aim up, and you can also aim while strafing and shooting and jumping. That is a useful feature. Also, the game runs at a very smooth 60 frames per second. I applaud this game for its excellent gameplay.

Graphics. This game's graphics are nearly the same as the last games graphics. It's not a problem though, because the graphics are above the curve of average graphics. There was no need to.

The biggest thing introduced to Ratchet and Clank: Up Your Arsenal over the other two installments is the online play. Online play has three modes: Siege, Capture the Flag (ctf), and a classic Deathmatch. CTF and Deathmatch are self explanitory. Siege is a destroy the enemy base mode. You can capture nodes, strategic points, as spawn points, for ammo, or for vehicles. There are typically about five scattered in every map. Speaking of maps, there are six maps that you can play siege on, and ten overall. Deathmatch and ctf can be played on any of the ten maps. Online play runs at a very smooth 60 fps with very little slowdown. However, it is broadband only. Sorry dial-up and 56k users. I am very happy with the way online play has turned out. I personnally have clocked in at least 50 hours online, and 20 offline. I plan to spend many more.

I have no regrets about this game. It is my highest recommendation. If you are interested in platforming, shooting, or rpgs, than at least look into this game.

10/10, my highest recommendation possible.

Reviewer's Score: 10/10 | Originally Posted: 12/09/04