Review by in2Nas

"Another reason to keep your PS2!"

Ratchet and Clank: Up Your Arsenal

Having played only demos or rented the previous two games in the series, I held back on this one originally. Then, I saw some rave reviews on the game, funny commercials and thousands of online users requesting tournament ladders. I was also tired of the barrage of military stealth action games currently on the market and wanted to trying something new, and I loved it.

The graphics in this game are pretty good, but are safe. There aren't too many expectations for a “cartoony” platformer, but the game completes it well. All the stages are clean and crisp with multi-movement backgrounds. What really stands out is flow of the game. IT NEVER SLOWS DOWN! There are several times when there are multiple enemies, bullets flying, friendly soldiers and extreme weapons (Agents of Doom or Weapon Turrets) on one screen and it never lags and the frame rate is superb making the gameplay much more enjoyable.

The sound is so hard to judge because there is so much going on at one time. Whether you're flying, driving, shooting or getting shot at; it's hard to notice background noises. Having said that, what you do hear is nice. Each weapon has its own unique sound and the voice-overs for the games characters done nicely as well.

This kind of bothered me a little bit. Pretty much another “save the planet/galaxy” story. The story just got boring after awhile and I found myself just skipping the plot screens. There are a few twists that give the game a little edge, but most if the time you seem to only pay attention to the mission at hand.

As close to perfection as you're going to get in a game. This game has it all. Over 40 different weapons and gadgets, unique mission like flying or puzzle solving, quick weapon select menus and tons (and I mean tons) of side missions. As any 3-D platform game, this game does suffer from the occasional camera angle hang-up, but it's not too bad. During fights you can strafe side-to-side and there isn't too much jumping and finesse parts to accomplish the mission (like a Mario 64.) UYA also has some unique missions. There's one stage were you're able to walk on the ceiling with gravity boots and the stage completely rotates as you turn, simply awesome.

Online: 10/10

This is how an online game should be. Everything is done right and is the closest thing next to Socom II as far online friendly setup. There are clans, buddy lists, stats, custom skins, voice chat, lobby chat and rankings. Absolutely no lag or poor frame rate when there is a full session, although it is 4 vs. 4 and the stages are wide open. There are few mission types on online mode: Capture the Flag, Deathmatch, Team Deatmatch and Siege (where you destroy the other team's base.)

This is one of the best games out there, regardless of how old you are. This game snuck under the radar with titan games like GTA: San Andreas, Halo 2 and Metal Gear Solid 3 out there. I highly recommend this game for any serious or occasional gamer due to the game's high replay value, hard but not impossible difficulty and extreme gameplay. And, if you're ever in the neighbor of the online community, look for “Blasto-Matic.”

Reviewer's Score: 9/10 | Originally Posted: 12/21/04