Review by GG6

"Only fun for the first 5 minutes."

Gauntlet: Seven Sorrows was almost a little fun overall, but it was just way too repetitive. Another thing, it was an extremely short game. I spent maybe 3 to 4 hours beating this game. If you're looking for a game like Gauntlet: Seven Sorrows, choose one of the better, longer ones.

Graphics – 5/10 – Compared to other games, the graphics on Gauntlet stink. Not to mention the fact that the cutscenes look absolutely terrible, as they are just a bunch of 2-D pictures with a narrator talking in the background. If you've never seen a good video game before, you may think this one has good graphics, but if you have any brains, you can tell that the graphics are just bad overall.

Sound – 4/10 – The background music in Gauntlet: Seven Sorrows was almost good, but you could never even hear it most of the time. The enemies are repeatedly making annoying grunting sounds the entire time, and the stupid narrator says something like “The Blue Wizard needs food badly.” about every 5 seconds.

Gameplay – 5/10 – Gauntlet: Seven Sorrows had fun gameplay for about the first 5 minutes. After this, it just turns into repetitively hacking at enemies until they die, and you move on to hack at more enemies. Also, in some levels, you have to perform extremely annoying tasks, such as pushing a rock. In one of the levels for example, you have to push a rock into place somewhere, then when you finally finish pushing that rock as enemies repeatedly attack you, you realize there are 4 more! I'd say it generally just takes way too long to perform simple tasks, such as opening a gate, which takes about 10-15 seconds as you stand there just turning a crank. To me, all these extremely ominous tasks seem like a worthless attempt at making Gauntlet a longer game. In reality, they just make it more frustrating.

Story – 2/10 – Really, the storyline for this game stank. In fact, it was too boring for me to even follow. I listened to half the first cutscene, got bored, and skipped the rest. I beat the game 2 or 3 times, and I still don't understand the story of the game very well. Gauntlet: Seven Sorrows was a failed attempt when it comes to a good, simple story.

Controls – 4/10 – The controls in Gauntlet are definitely not what I consider to be good. Basically what you do is use the control stick to run, then button-mash X/[] when enemies appear, then continue running until you encounter more enemies. Occasionally, you will have to use O to hit something you cant reach, but other than that it's just button-mashing the attack buttons and using R1 to pull a lever or something…

Play Time/Replayability – Play time in Gauntlet: Seven Sorrows was about 3 to 4 hours to beat the game, maybe 5 if you're going slowish. Also, the game has little to no replay value. The only reason for anyone to replay this game would be to level up your character, or beat it on the hardest difficulty, which is still extremely easy (even with a new character.) There is absolutely nothing to unlock by beating the game, and no sidequests/extras that you may have missed the first time.

Rent or Buy – Rent it, no question here. This game was very short and boring. Unless you are rich and have no problem with wasting your money, don't buy this game.

Overall 3/10 – Gauntlet as a whole game had an almost good concept to it, but everything was just executed extremely poorly. If you liked Gauntlet: Seven Sorrows, some better games that are sort of like it are the Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance games. They are essentially the same type/genre game, but I found Dark Alliance to be a much more enjoyable (and longer) game.

Reviewer's Score: 3/10 | Originally Posted: 01/16/09

Game Release: Gauntlet: Seven Sorrows (US, 12/12/05)