Review by D E E G S

"A poor use of the Goldeneye name."

Seven years ago Rare released a FPS that some consider the best console FPS ever made. I am of course talking about 007 Goldeneye. Now EA is trying to repeat the success of Goldeneye by releasing Goldeneye: Rogue Agent.

The story is simple and very poorly done. In the beginning you are an MI6 agent who gets dismissed just like that. I mean really what kind of Secret Agency just says "You let So and So die in the Simulation, your dismissed" and just lets you go like that.

After said dismissal you wind up working for Goldfinger who has sent you a message sometime before (or after your dismissed) to join him in a fight against Dr. No. Not to long after you get your eye shot out and it gets replaced by a gold eye (Goldeneye get it?). Now you may think I spoiling the story for but I'm not, all I mentioned happens in a Bond-like intro movies that gives no sequence to the events that were mentioned in this paragraph.

The graphics of Goldeneye: Rogue Agent are sub-par. It truthfully looks like a launch title with graphics on par with the original Unreal Tournament for PS2, with very little detail to the environments and most of them look the same. The guns look the best but its obvious thats what the majority of polish was spent on. The framerate is steady and never slows down, but that should be expected with how low quality the graphics are. Another part of the graphics that wasn't thought out real well is when you shoot an enemy instead of blood or something when they get shot you see blue, thats right BLUE blood, did Dr. No somehow make all of his henchmen cyborgs that bleed blue or something? If your gonna have blood when someone gets shoot it better be red or it shouldn't be in there.

Cinematics have a high EA funded quality to them and the voice acting is pretty good too. Sadly though they don't help the for mentioned story at all.

The sound in Goldeneye: Rogue Agent is nicely done with a mix of Rock and Techno. Gun shots sound great and are all unique and the in game music is nicely done too. Unfortunately the sound of gun shots and bullets flying by you from your enemies don't feel right and this lessens the intensity that the game trys to throw at you which is sad.

Gameplay is the heart of all games and here it is done pretty well. You are able to hold two guns at once and interchange them in a Halo 2 type way. Grenades are present and there are special abilities that the "Goldeneye" gives to you through out the game. While the Goldeneye abilities are fun you never get to use them a whole lot because the energy meter drains so fast when you use it. There is also no jump button in Goldeneye: Rogue Agent and while sometimes the exclusion of a jump button works well, ala Killzone, it doesn't work.

The game boasts that it has 100 different weapon combinations and I believe them because I don't have the time to count them all but a lot of the weapons are forgettable. Sure there are some cool ones but the majority of them are just the generic rocket launcher, machine gun, shotgun, and handgun with very little to make them unique from the ones used in previous FPS. The guns also don't have any secondary fire and that is kinda disappointing because it could of really set it apart from other shooters.

There are only 8 levels in Goldeneye:RA and each are excruciatingly long and poorly designed. You are only able to save at the end of a level and with unmarked checkpoints you will be wondering how far back you are sent when you die.

Further problems persist in the gameplay with the difficulty. Its not so much that the game is hard it just that its very unfair. You will walk into a room and there will be like 20 guys that try to take you out with machine guns and one-hit kill laser guns.

While the game does have body armor, you can also improvise with human meat shields. Just punch somebody several times to stun them and then grab them. This is amusing and for a while it was all I was doing to kill enemies.

The A.I. shines in the game with enemies taking cover, shouting out that I'm reloading, and rolling away from grenades. This is probably the best part of Goldeneye: Rogue Agent and I hope EA's E.V.I.L. AI engine is used in future FPS by them.

Multiplayer feels rushed and sloppily done as well. The game has 4-player splitscreen but it doesn't have co-op which would have been amazing and is puzzling why there is none. There are a fair amount of maps to choose from but there are only 3 games modes, which doesn't help Goldeneye's case very much since most FPSs these days have at least 5 or 6.

While there is an online mode this feels mediocre at best. Voice chat livens things up but with only 8 people to a game it never gets very hectic. 16 or even 12 players to a game would have been good.

I had high hopes for Goldeneye: Rogue Agent, but the game just feels like a grab at your wallet by using the Goldeneye name instead of a fully polished and worthy successor to the legendary original.

Reviewer's Score: 6/10 | Originally Posted: 12/14/04