Review by Bustus

"Fair enough, but lacks a lot of important things for this kind of game."

Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon 2

A typical army simulator. You complete one mission to advance to the next, and for the most part, that's it. Nothing bad about that, really. It's just that this game scores bad in places where this type of game must score good.

Story:
I must admit, I'm not really sure about the story. I have yet to complete the game (and yeah, I'm still doing a review), and haven't seen everything yet. However, judging from what I've seen so far, I'll give the story a 6/10.

Gameplay:
Ok, here comes the main bashing, so fans of the game, hold tight. I'm going to tell you a little story. It's about the time when I had a sniper and zoomed in to hit an enemy in his chest. There was nothing in the way, and the crosshairs were in the middle of his body. I used up almost all my ammunition before he was actually hit by something. In short, the aiming system down-right sucks. Also, in a game like this you'd expect the missions to take place in somewhat open areas, but NO, not at all. Instead the levels are littered with invisible walls to keep you in place. Note that rocks are actually invisible "cubes" with a rock in, and there's no use hiding behind a rock and trying to shoot if that "cube" is in your way. Oh, and forget everything about sneaking around, hiding in the grass and disposing of your enemies silently. Either they know where you are once any gun is fired, or they already know it before you come. Why the silenced pistol, then? Don't ask me... Worst thing is they always know where you are. You can hide behind a long rock and sneak behind it to it's other side. Hmm, ok, you can't. They ALWAYS know where you are before you even know it yourself. One thing I do like however is the teammates. They are very helpful, and at times, even necessary. They're pretty easy to "control" too. That doesn't save the score, though, so I'll give this section a 3/10.

Graphics:
I changed my mind a lot before I came to a conclusion. The graphics are great, there's nothing to say about that. Not perfect, but still very good. I decided to play the dam level, just to see the water streaming out of the dam. That was good enough for me, so I give this a 9/10.

Sound/Music:
Nothing to really complain about. I don't know much about guns, so I can't say if the sounds fit them or not, but they sound good enough to me. You'll for the most part hear music when in the menu or when loading, and that music is really good. I wish they had used more music in the levels, but then again, this is a simulator, sort of, and music in-game might not be a good idea after all. So, this will be a 8/10.

Replayability:
There are some extra modes to play the game in, but I'll still say that I'm not really interested in playing the levels again. I'll continue playing the game, but only to finish the campaign. Then I probably won't mess around with it anymore. I would, however, do that if there was a two-controller multiplayer mode, but no, of course not. Someone got this great idea! Some smartass made multiplayer only available online! Heck, this is a damn PS2 game (yeah, yeah, it's for other platforms too, but I'm talking about the PS2 version)! Only a fraction of PS2 players are actually able to play online! And where's the co-op? This game is like tailor-made for co-op! Ah well, it's not THAT important... is it? 3/10

Conclusion:
Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon 2 is a great game in one way, and a pathetic one in another. If you want good graphics and cool music, hell, go for it! If what you're looking for is solid gameplay that lasts for a long time... You'd better look another way.

Reviewer's Score: 6/10 | Originally Posted: 04/19/06