Review by livewyr90

"College football at its best!"

I earnestly borrowed this game from my friend, knowing that it had to be a great game. After all, NCAA Football 2004 was the best football game that I'd ever played. After completing one year of dynasty mode (and leading Texas to a National Championship), I must say that I am not disappointed at all.

Graphics:
Well, they aren't much of an improvement from last year, but they are still pretty good. In general, sports games don't have to have top of the line graphics, but they should have at least realistic character models. And 2005 doesn't disappoint with that at all. Players on the field look fine, and the 3-D members of the crowd look good. My only complaint, however, is that most of the crowd is 2-D. Therefore, I give the graphics a 8/10.

Gameplay:
This is the meat and potatoes of a football game. I must say, I am thoroughly impressed. On the field, some minor upgrades were made that I personally liked. The new matchup stick was an interesting addition, but one I found helpful. At least now when I'm on offense, I can see which cornerback I can burn deep when they bring up the safety to blitz. It has its situational uses, but is still useful nonetheless. I have never used the Big Hits Features, but from what I've read it can be useful in rattling a player.

Homefield Advantage, unfortunately, is one feature I do not like AT ALL, for personal reasons. When playing on the Heisman difficulty level, against USC at home, I was screwed over during the first half. By the end of the second quarter, my guys had 2 fumbles that we didn't recover and an interception. I eventually won, 28-27, but homefield advantage can really hurt the away team. Thank goodness I wasn't playing in the Swamp...(#1 Toughest Place to Play). Anyways, I think the gameplay is very solid, and deserves a 10/10 from me.

Game Modes:
I was going to throw this in with Gameplay, but nobody wants to read a 5 or 6 paragraph essay now, would they? The only mode that I've actively played so far is Dynasty Mode, and I absolutely love it. Pick a team, lead them through a bunch of seasons, try to win as much as you can, and occasionally accept a job offer from another team and switch teams. In a nutshell, that is how dynasty mode plays out. As you can see, it's very nonlinear. After you make it through a season, everybody grows up a year, all the seniors leave, and you're left with the off-season. Draft new players from high school, and train your remaining players. I personally enjoy it, even though I always seem to end up drafting a good quarterback and terrible receivers. But hey, by the end of their junior year, they better be good. Moving on, there is also online mode, but I haven't gotten around to playing it yet. And, of course, there is the Play Now mode, which is just picking two teams and playing a game. I personally enjoy the different game modes, and I give it a 9/10, losing a point because of the abysmal load speeds that could have been corrected.

Sound:
Meh. The only weak point in the game. I guess it isn't bad, but it can get annoying after a while. Typically, a player spends most of their time in a football game, and the commentary will drive you crazy. Barely any new lines have been added from the previous edition of this game, and it shows. Nessler, Corso, and Herbstreit, while great for a real game, are enough to make you fall asleep. However, I personally enjoy the fight songs, and sort of make up for the commentary, so I give it a 6/10

Replayability:
This game never gets old. If you ever get tired of playing as one team, you can switch to another one and start another dynasty. And somehow, if you get tired of all those teams, you can make your own. Obviously, I give it a 10/10

Recap:

Game Modes: 9/10
Replayability: 10/10
Total: 43/50 x2 = 86/100

Right in the middle. It's really too bad we can't use fractions or decimals. I will round up on the final score, simply because of how much I enjoy this game. As for the friend I borrowed this from? He's going to have to get a new copy!

Final Score: 9/10