Review by Seung2

"Racing at it's finest!"

THE GOOD:
The game is packed with many upgrades for the vehicles with endless ways to customizer your car to your very own liking.

Various types of races, there are about eight of them and this is lacking in many other racing titles and those get boring fast with only one or two types of races.

Even though there isn't much to do at 100% completion it takes a long time to get there with various things to do. Such as the "posing" your car for magazines or DVD covers.

THE BAD:
Nothing to do once you get the game to 100% completion.

I think the two player races aren't very good and the split screen doesn't make it look any better.

SUMMARY:
The story follows that of the previous installment Need for Speed: Underground, the character, who is given no name, crashes and ends up in the hospital loses everything he had worked for in his vehicles in the past (Underground) and now he must work his way to the top once more. The story is pretty much like any other racing game with street cars, with someone trying to take over but this game made it interesting with the crash and everything and I liked it.

As I said before there are about eigth types of races which makes the game interesting and last longer. My favorite being the sprint race. The sprint race involves you and usually three other competitors and whoever get to the end the quickest wins... no laps to slow you down. I also like the drag races, haven't seen that type often and Underground 2 makes it very interesting.

Two player racing is a huge let down, the split screen makes the mode very uninteresting and unappealing. At times the mode slows down even if it is just two players. To be honest the game would still be great even without this.

I remember before the game came out and I saw screenshots I was always "ooh" and "ahh" pretty much how I am now with the PS3 and Xbox 360 graphics. So for it's time it was really good. One of the best back then, the shading and lighting makes it looks realistic.

One of my favorite things about the game is the customization. I beleive this is the second or third game in the Need for Speed series to actually allow this. There are probably about 500 different things you can do to customize your vehicle. I'm talking engine, performance, looks, etc.

Music is varied and I'm glad that it is. Some games such as the newer Need for Speed: Carbon had to much rock type of music and I'm not a fan of the type. But this one had various types and the majority of it was Rap/Hip Hop. So if you're not really into that kind of music you won't really find the music to likable. But there is always the option of turning off single songs that you don't like.

I think this one of the most improved games in the Need for Speed series. It had much more options than the previous ones such as the option to now free roam wherever you wanted unlike the first one. I found it lacked the use of police though like in Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit, but the pretty much the rest of the game makes up for it.

The game will last you for a very long time, I mean 100% is a long way to go. I think I put about 3o hours into the game to get that far and I find that very rare in a racing game.

I recommend the game for pretty much everyone. Even if you are not a racing fan I'm willing to bet that you'll like it just enough to play it for a while

Reviewer's Score: 9/10 | Originally Posted: 07/16/07