Review by aznracing9590

"The need for speed in the underground world has been taken to the second level…are you ready to take on the challenge?"

EA Games has created plenty of good games in the past couple of years, but their major goal is to make the best sequel that they can possibly make to the best selling game in 2003. To follow up Need For Speed Underground, EA Games has created one of the best racing game of 2004. Need For Speed Underground 2 is solid, but contains a few flaws.

Graphics:9/10
The first thing I noticed was the improved graphics. The environment in this game hasn't changed a lot, but still a very nice looking city. When racing, rain starts to pour at a certain time during some races causing blurriness to the racer and therefore creating more of a challenge. Also the effect of nitrous oxide makes it look like you are really in the game racing. The only bad thing about the graphics is that racers are still racing at night and sometime can‘t see a turn because of the darkness. This may cause a racer to lose the lead or the race. I would have definitely enjoy some day races but, since it's the underground the races are at night. Even though it is sometimes dark, the graphics are great.

Sound:9/10
Although I don't like one or two of the songs on this game, the tracks that EA Games have provided a variety of great songs. Featuring songs like “Lean Back” (Terror Squad) and “I Do” (Chingy). But the theme song of the game is a remake of the song, “Riders on the Storm” by The Doors ft. Snoop Dog. That's not all that EA Games have to offer in the sound category. The sound of the engine has became even more realistic. There is no music on drags and drifts, so that racers can hear their powerful engines roar like crazy. Basically, the sounds are just awesome.

Game play:10/10
Only one word can sum up the game play experience, AMAZING! A whole lot has changed since the first game. A massive free roaming city with five sections to explore has left me speechless. The city, which is called “Bayview”, is filled with hidden shops that can make your car the best looking and best performance car in the game. Don't forget about the car specialty shop. The car specialty shop is really “special”. The visual rating of your car could really improve if you get stuff like spinners, split doors and hoods, neon lights, and hydraulics along with other great stuff at the car specialty shop. All that great customizing features and I haven't even mention the cars in the game yet. There is still the common ricers like the Nissan Skyline, Toyota Supra, and Honda Civics backed with other Japanese motors. What about the American cars, you ask? Well, there is the all new 2005 Ford Mustang GT and the 2004 Pontiac GTO. How 'bout those cars for some true American muscle? Also there are additional SUV races that you can race with the Hummer H2, Cadillac Escalade, and Lincoln Navigator. With a bunch more races than the first Underground, the game play is just superb.

Final Thoughts:
So with the street racing world growing, this game gives you a taste of what being a street racer really means. Overall I love Need For Speed Underground 2 and would recommend it to anyone that likes cars. EA Games has really out done themselves by creating this wonderful game. I just have to leave with one question, “Are you ready to take on the challenge?”

Reviewer's Score: 9/10 | Originally Posted: 11/30/04