Review by Aoshi33

"Blowin' up planets, beating up other people... What more could you ask for?"

DBZ is a great game all around and has some great gameplay. Having played Budokai 1 and 2, I'm very pleased with Budokai 3. From here, I'll split my review into five different pars; Game-play, sound, graphics, re-playability, and rent/buy

NOTE: DRAGON BALL Z BUDOKAI 3 IS NOTE A GAME FOR JUST DIE HARD FANS. A LOT OF PEOPLE THINK YOU CAN'T GET INTO THE GAME WITHOUT DROOLING OVER THE T.V. SERIES, AND THAT'S NOT TRUE.

(THE SCORE THAT I GAVE THIS GAME IS NOT AN AVERAGE OF THE FOLLOWING SCORES)

GAME-PLAY: 8.999999/10 It was pretty close to a nine, but not quite. I'll explain why it's not a nine later. I've had this game for about two years now and I still haven't beaten it completely (give or take a few memory card losses and a few memory deletions). The story mode itself isn't too long. It should take anywhere from about a week to a month, depending on how much you play and if you plan to get all the characters and skills.. As you play through, you'll find reasons to go back and do the Dragon Universes (story modes of most characters) over again. It might be for skills and abilities, or it could be for characters. Once you finish Dragon Universe, you'll probably find that you don't have all the capsules. I've unlocked all characters except for Cell Jr. and I only have 64% of the capsules. The world tournaments are what brought the rating down. It's always the same type of thing, so it gets a little repetitive. Still, it had some good parts. The world tournaments have the three standard levels: Novice, Adept, and Advanced. They're fun to play, but they get tiring after a while. You can play with up to......uhh.....18 players........I think. The weird thing is that you can't use a multi-tap for four players. You have to stick with two controllers. Another upside to this game is that they took out the game board style of story mode. Now you fly around to specific locations which indicate the next part of the story. The locations could be you talking to someone, or it could be a fight. An upgrade to your skills is the [ ] + X move. For Goku it's dragon throw. Now, it's an automatic skill. You don't have to equip it for anyone, which means space for more skills. This may irk at some of those hardcore DBZ fans, but SSJ4 is equipped to adult Goku, rather than kid Goku. It also turns out the kid Goku is the Dragon Ball kid Goku. What's cool is that kid Goku has his power pole. This way you can use it to beat the crap out of people.

GRAPHICS: 9.5/10 The graphics aren't great, but they're pretty good, and they get the job done. Sometimes, characters look a little squarish for second, or very slightly disproportionate, but you don't notice unless you stare at the character for 10 minutes with enough concentration to burn a hole through your T.V. It's cool, that when you turn into some of the more powerful transformations, you can see electricity going around them. The graphics are really good during some of the cinematics for some ultimate moves. When Goku does his super spirit bomb, you go to SSJ, and then you shoot a kamehameha into the ball of energy. Then it goes to a space view, and you see this huge explosion; pieces of the planet are going up as debris, the explosion covers almost a fifth of the Earth, and under all that is either you or your opponent, depending on who used it. I have to admit, it looks pretty awesome.

SOUND: 8.5/10 The sound is not the best I've ever heard, but it definitely isn't the worst. The BGM isn't that great, and gets annoying after a while. The sound effects of the attacks and the voices of the characters are actually pretty good. What I didn't like is that in some transformations, the voice didn't change. Anyone who has seen the T.V. shows knows that Cell's voice changes with each transformation. The voice is inconsistent and switches between his normal and perfect form voices. When Frieza is in his 3rd form, his voice is supposed to have a metallic ring to it, but it doesn't. When Goku is in SSJ4, he's supposed to have a different voice, which sounds a lot cooler. Still, the sound is passable.

Re-playability: (For hardcore gamers: 9.5/10) (For non-hardcore 7.5/10) I'd say it has really good replay value, if you're one of those people who say to themselves. "I must unlock every single thing." Even if you're not, it's fun to train, beat the crap out of your friends (in the game mind you), and then laugh in their face (you should only laugh in their face if they have the game. If they don't, that's one more excuse to use against your triumph)

NOTE: I AM A HARDCORE DBZ FAN! THE NON-HARDCORE THING IS JUST A GUESS.

Rent or buy: If you're into fighting games, you'll probably like this. So, I'd say buy. If you're not into this sort of thing, I'd say rent. This way you could check out the game, and then buy it if you like it.

Reviewer's Score: 9/10 | Originally Posted: 04/18/06