Review by zeromk5

"Budokai 3 vs. Budokai Tenkaichi 2"

Oh my God. WTF IS GOING ON?! I thought the usual equation, DBZ+Gaming=Utter Crap, works but holy sh*t, I really cannot say that for this game!

'Dragon Ball Z: Budokai 3' is the 3rd installment to the OFFICIAL Budokai series (I say official because the later games Budokai Tenkaichi 1 and 2 are made by different companies and the gameplay for tenkaichi are so different they can't be considered as budokai). Budokai 3, is undoubtedly, THE best DBZ game ever, if not, ONE of the best games ever for the PS2.

Beautiful. They've upgraded Budokai 2's ALREADY great graphics by improving blast effects, adding some lighting, etc. In case you don't know what the graphics were like for the Budokai series, it's like this. 3D backgrounds and 3D characters with thick outlines to make them SLIGHTLY 2D to give that Anime sort of look, to further revive the DBZ feeling.

Music/Sound: 10/10
ARGH, I can't get the opening music out of my head! It's so damn good! And the sound effects are so mind blowing, it's like you're REALLY in the DBZ world. I can't say much about Music/Sound, but it's STILL good.

DBZ Budokai 3 is one of the ONLY games that retells the ENTIRE DBZ story from DB/DBZ/DBGT/DBZ Movies. And not only that, they added a different story for each of the characters in the Dragon Universe Mode! (see Gameplay for more info on this). And some of the stories are really interesting too. For example, Goku is on the way to the Tournament to fight Uub, but if you go to a mysterious island, Goku suddenly transforms, into SSJ4! Trust me, you gotta play the game to know what I'm talking about (or maybe not).

This is where the game shines the most. Gameplay is improved SO MUCH that if you play another game, even the infamous Hyper Dimension, and then play Budokai 3, you'd NEVER wanna play HD again and instead stick to this game. Here's why.

Dragon Universe Mode! This is basically a story mode for up to 11 different characters and is played in a RPG sort of format which is really clever. Not to mention, the MANY unlockable features, such as characters, stages, skills and so much more. You can EVEN play through the same character a second time, but the stories and everything changes! Such as the addition of movie characters, more unlockable stuff you couldn't get in the first run, etc.

And also, Budokai 3 introduces, the Dragon Rush. The Dragon Rush is like a paper scissors rock sort of attack, where when activated, your opponent has to press the same button you do, to block an upcoming attack. If your opponent fails to guess all three attacks, he takes MAJOR damage and also gains a lot in his Fatigue metre, where if it's full and you use an Ultimate attack, your opponent has a harder time blocking it. Sweet isn't it? No?

Replay Value: 10/10
You'd DEFINITELY want to keep playing the Dragon Universe Mode, Dragon Arena or even the Duels themselves as there are THREE more difficulties to unlock. You can even unlock characters like Broly, Omega Shenron and even a blast from the past, Bardock! Or you might even want to try and max out all of your character levels and stats. Either way, you really will want to play this game over and over again.

Rent or Buy:
DEFINITELY BUY IT. I mean it, if you miss out on getting this game, you will regret it SO BAD. If you're a DBZ fan, then you should ALREADY have this game by now. But, if you're not very sure about my words, then rent it and see if you like it or not, but I guarantee you, you WILL like it. And one more thing, if you go down the shops looking for this game and find Budokai Tenkaichi 2 instead, DON'T GET THAT GAME. This next section will tell you why.

Budokai 3 VS Budokai Tenkaichi 2:
That's right, I'm comparing the latest games of each series, that is, Budokai and Tenkaichi (NOT Budokai Tenkaichi as they aren't TRULY Budokai games like I said before). Besides, that's the name of this review!

Budokai 3's gameplay is faster paced, has in game transformations, very interesting story mode and has a whole lot more replay value than Tenkaichi 2.

Tenkaichi 2's gameplay is slower but the battlefield's environment is MUCH more detailed and larger. No in game transformations, and the gameplay view for this game is THIRD PERSON. Meaning that if you're playing a two player game, the game is in FRECKING SPLIT SCREEN, can you believe that?! And on top of that, this game is made by a different company, meaning they got SO MANY of their "ideas" from Dimps' OFFICIAL Budokai series.

So, as you may have guessed, Budokai 3 wins, hands down. When I first heard of the Budokai Tenkaichi series, I thought they were official sequels, but seeing as how much crappier they got, I found that Tenkaichi is a completely seperate series. Sorry Spike(dudes that made Tenkaichi series), but Dimps has made the better game and you know it. So PLEASE get Budokai 3 instead of Tenkaichi 2.

Overall Rating for Budokai 3: 10/10
Overall Rating for Budokai Tenkaichi 2: 7/10

(I will be using this same sort of comparison in my, soon to be coming, Budokai Tenkaichi 2 review)

Reviewer's Score: 10/10 | Originally Posted: 04/02/07