Review by napster

"This Game Makes B2 Look Cheesy As I Don't Know What"

Let me start off by saying that this game got a 9.5 out of 10 but I didn't round it up for my own personal reasons. Now that that's off my chest on to the review.

Dragon Ball has been around for a long time and it has been our friend for a long time. We've watched our fave characters grow and mature (well most of them can't forget about Goku lol) and we enjoyed every second of it. Some of us even went as far as to even buying or recording our fave episodes. Budokai 1 came out in 2002 around Christmas time and almost every DBZ fan was happy thanks to the story mode (I know I was.) A year later Budokai 2 was released and there was some high hopes for this game but it ended up just being a total letdown. Now enter Budokai 3 and I have to say that this game is the real deal. This is the best DBZ game to date and I don't think anyone (even fighting game fans) will be disappointed. Now you've heard what I've got to say now onto the review.

This game finally does what Budokai 2 didn't. This game actually follows through the exploits of a hero of your choice and you can play through his battles. This mode is called Dragon Universe and you do go from planet to planet to fight the different villains. I have no complaints to the story since I love DBZ so much so this section will come to a grinding halt.

Now we're onto the most important part of the game. You can earn money in the World Tournament to buy new capsules for your fave fighters. You can play in the incredible Dragon World or you can play against your friends in the Duel Mode. Oh, I almost forgot, you customize your fighter any way you want him. I'm not going to spoil it for you since that wouldn't be right but anyways this introduces 2 main new fighting modes that you can get into. Hyper mode ( which kind of powers up your fighter a little more than they should allow you to) and Dragon Rush mode to attack your opponent while allowing them to press the right button at the right time to block your attacks. The transformations are now much better done than they were in the previous two games and they actually look like they should (SSJ3 looks amazing) and everything appears to be way too perfect. But there are some issues here. The computer opponents make it almost impossible for you to win since they abuse hyper mode and dragon rush. That's all the complaints I have here.

Sound:9/10
The music is a little better but nothing completely memorable. I usually turn the sound down a little anyways while playing so I can play my own music. The voice acting is well done though and has improved a little since the previous games. The punches sound just like they should and everything. My only complaint in this department is that they don't have any music from the show. Although they did a good job in improving the music from the previous two games they should just put the music that they have from the show (not so sure about GT music though.) Oh I almost forgot, the ki blasts and all the Kamehamehas and other specials sound so great that it will put a smile on any fan's face.

The graphics have really improved in this game. I really mean that too. These graphics are really incredible for a cel-shaded fighting game. All of the dinosaurs look like they should and everything and everyone looks incredible. And I mean everyone looks incredible. Even the little screenshots in this game look good. They really did a great job making this game look like DBZ and I have no complaints at all.

Replay Value: 9/10
Okay so you are a DBZ fan who just wanted to know how this game is and if it will last a while. Well my friend your prayers have been answered. You have about 40(if not over) characters in this whole game plus over 500 capsules to collect. You have to play alot of this game since most of the game's heart is in Dragon Universe and that's how you get most of the characters. You also have the dueling mode which I must add is alot of fun to play! This game is way better than both B1 and B2. If your a DBZ fan or any type of fighting game fan you must go and pick this game up right now. It's fun and challenging and that's just a great combination in a game.

Final Say: This game is just awesome. If you are a fighting game fan go rent it but if you are a DBZ game then you better run barefoot to this store to get this game because this game is just too fun to not have. Everyone else should at least give this game a shot. WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR!? GO NOW!!!!

Reviewer's Score: 9/10 | Originally Posted: 11/29/04