Review by mark24173

"Remove Jinpachi and it would almost be perfect"

Tekken's always been at or near the front of fighting games, and with good reason. It has a roster of interesting characters, and there are very few gamers who won't be able to find a character which suits them. The gameplay is intuitive and easy to pick up but has enough depth for the hardcore players out there. Graphically it has always excelled as well.

Tekken 5 is a worthy addition to this. There are some fun new characters, including another member of the Kazama clan - and this one's a cute chick with an awesomely sexy extra costume once you rack up the points to get it. (The points come from completing the game and winning individual matches). This is another plus point to the game - the customisations. There are plenty of them and they give the player a reason to keep playing.

The mechanics of the gameplay are also excellent; it is rare for the controller to not give you the result you want. There's no slowdown whatsoever either.

So why the 8 out of 10? Two things in particular.

The minigame, The Devil Within, is rubbish. It's a cheap 3-d maze game with fighting elements, and it's so difficult that it's not even funny. The platforming elements are insanely hard to judge and the fighting element is incredibly boring. Do not play it under any circumstances.

The other thing is, of course, the final boss Jinpachi. Ugh, what a dreadful way to finish the story mode of the game. It's not that this character is excessively difficult; with some characters I can beat him almost every time, first time. With others, it takes up to ten or more attempts. He is one of the worst-designed boss fights in living memory. He can stun you for literally about five seconds, during which you can not block his attacks, and if he decides to fireball you when the timing suits him, he can kill you in two hits. I can't imagine why a team who can make such a well balanced fighting game wanted to make such an unbalanced boss. If you take him on with a character you don't usually use, the only way you will beat him is with luck. There will be no skill involved whatsoever. But if you get good with a character, you have more chance of beating him without having to fight him ten times. He's not actually that SKILLED as such, just immensely cheap.

There's one other thing too. Just now and then it feels like the code in this game makes it actually impossible to win a fight. For a period of time - maybe half a minute, or so - the AI of the opponent seems to be reading your controller a la Psycho Mantis in Metal Gear Solid 1. While this is in effect, every single attack you do will be blocked and countered and you will almost certainly lose the fight. I've had fights where this happens to me and then I come back and annihilate the opponent in the next fight, which makes me wonder if something's up. It doesn't happen often though, so it doesn't really detract from the game.

All in all, Tekken 5 is a great game if you can forgive the cheapness of Jinpachi,

Reviewer's Score: 8/10 | Originally Posted: 02/02/10

Game Release: Tekken 5 (US, 02/24/05)