Review by Paperkut_98

"Enter the Tekken... again."

Tekken 5 is the fifth installment of the Tekken series. While it's safe to say that it's better than Tekken 4, it's not exactly the best fighting game I've ever played...

GRAPHICS: 10/10
With just a single glance, you can see that this game has amazing graphics. Each character looks like a supermodel for video games. All the men are muscular, and all the women are slim with curves. If you're one of those people who think video game characters can be "hot", or if you just plain appreciate a good-looking cast of characters, then you'll respect this game. And don't even get me STARTED on the backgrounds--whoever designed this game is a true artistic genius. The landscapes that you fight in are GORGEOUS, trust me.

STORY: 8/10
While many people find the Tekken storyline to be cheesy, I kind of like it. It's refreshing to see a story with so many components--the Mishima Zaibatsu, the Williams sibling rivalry, the Asuka-Feng-Lei Wulong thing, etc. And while certain parts of it ARE cheesy--Roger, the fighting kangaroo, or Mokujin, a wooden dummy brought to life--much of it is kind of realistic, such as Kazuya's hatred for his father, or Xiaoyu's pure-hearted sympathy for the Mishima family. And even if the game didn't have any realistic story aspects, I could still deal--I mean, I've definitely played games with cornier storylines (mostly RPGs), but their stories deserve great reviews! It's not about how realistic a story is, just how captivating.

SOUND: 5/10
The background music in this game is about mediocre. There are some nice songs, and there are some highly irritating ones. I honestly think that the next Tekken game should have a hip-hop soundtrack. Now THAT'S fighting music. The voice acting, however, is not mediocre. The voice acting SUCKS. I mean, Marshall Law screams in a Bruce Lee--high-pitched way, but when he talks during game movies, his voice is deep and serious-sounding! And then there's Lei Wulong--sometimes he uses an accent, sometimes he doesn't. And whose bright idea was it to give Raven and Bruce Irvin the EXACT SAME VOICE!!?? Hello, they're not the same person! To be fair, however, some voices were done well, in particular, Jin Kazama's, and Hwoarang's, and Heihachi Mishima's. I kind of enjoyed listening to them talk. But a couple of good voices do not cancel out the sour taste of a bunch of bad ones, so I have to give SOUND a low score.

GAMEPLAY: 8/10
This game has good gameplay, but there are a few minor flaws that take away from its full potential. The movements are easy to follow, of course, and the animation isn't blocky or anything. But some characters have amazingly good moves (Feng Wei's God Fist, for example), while other characters just plain suck (Christie Monteiro, etc.) !!! The game is NOT balanced very well. Also, computer characters are a little too difficult, even if you put the game in EASY mode. Jinpachi Mishima, in particular, is ridiculously difficult to beat if you have a weaker character in your control. He has one technique where he shoots a fireball at you, and it is almost IMPOSSIBLE to dodge!!! Sure, player skill can go a long way, but not when you're up against relentless computer characters such as Nina Williams, or Lee Chaolan, or Baek Doo San. However, gameplay in Tekken 5 is much more good than bad, so I'm giving it a high score. You will ENJOY beating the crap out of a computer player when you get the chance, trust me.

OVERALL: 7/10
Tekken 5 is a decent game, if you don't mind the irritating voices and a little bit of hard work. I strongly don't recommend this game to a hardcore gamer who takes these things too seriously, because you will get frustrated over time. But if you don't mind losing against a computer player a couple of times, and you want to see how the Mishima storyline unfolds in this chapter of the Tekken series--BUY THIS GAME!!!

Reviewer's Score: 7/10 | Originally Posted: 03/28/05