Review by jetta42

"I've been missing out for the past 10 years"

I still remember getting my original psx, and getting a demo disk with it. That was back in 1998. Tekken 2 was on there. It was cool, but I never gave it much thought, and went on buying other games and living my life. However, this Christmas, I decided I wanted to try a fighting game, and it was either this or Soul Calibur 3. While Soul Calibur 3 is surely a good fighting game, I'm glad I got Tekken 5. Hopefully, after reading this review, you'll be psyched about the game as well.

- There are several modes in Tekken 5. There's your story mode, which is my favorite. Here you can run through each characters story and so on. You then have your arcade, team battle, survival, time attack, practice, and vs mode. What more could you want? The arcade mode is pretty cool, it feels like your playing online, since you're playing against mock cpu players, with usernames and customized characters. Namco doesn't stop there. No, no, no! They then offer you a simplistic action adventure with one of the characters. While it can get boring easily, it offers something else to do besides fight. There is also a classic arcade mode which allows you to play all 3 tekkens from the original psx. I thought this was great! I could finally catch up on all the tekken goodness I had missed over the years! Another great feature is the customizing of the characters. With your battles you earn money which can be spent on buying alternate costumes, changing colors, or even adding objects to a characters costume. I love this feature. There's also the vs mode. You'll have the most fun if you can find someone to play against you here. I enjoy playing against people when I get the chance.

- Ok, so it's a fighting game, you can't expect much in the story department here, however, I was really drawn in from the opening movie in the game. Each character has his own back story, which is presented in hand drawn pics when you first select them in story mode. However, you then get to see an amazing movie with your character when you beat the final boss.

Controls: 8/10
- Maybe it's just that I'm not good at fighters, but some of the combos in the game are difficult for me. However, the game offers a practice mode for that and will allow you to watch the cpu compute the move for you. This allows you to get the timing and keep trying. Good idea.

- The voices are done well, and some of the cutscenes during the battle are pretty funny. The music during the fights are good. Can't complain here. Music changes for each stage that you are fighting in. Each set music track seems to fit each stage pretty well.

Replayability: 10/10
- Well theres over 20 characters. I've been trying to beat each character in story mode. It's going to be tough. Not only that, you then can try and buy every character's alternate costume. Then you can move onto VS mode with a friend. The game will just keep going and going and going!

Overall: 9/10 (not an average)
- Clearly, you if you even are thinking of getting a fighting game, pick this one up. The only reason I'm not giving it a perfect 10 is because of two factors. One, is that there is no online play. I feel we should be getting good online fighters now for the ps2 stateside, and Namco did not go that route. The other reason, is that the final boss is unbearable. I'm all for a challenge, but he sort of takes the fun out of the game, but don't worry, after a couple tries you'll be able to knock him out. Other than that, there is no reason not to own this game.

Final Word: Go buy this game, you should have it in your ps2 collection. The characters, customizing, different modes, and the fact that you get almost 5 different games all rolled into this one, is more than enough reasons to go buy this game!

Reviewer's Score: 9/10 | Originally Posted: 01/09/06