Review by idiotman7

"Something real for a change?"

I have played a lot of these so called, gangster games. These games that try and show what being a gangster, and being part of the streets is really like. Bulletproof, was fun, but failed horribly in realism. Crime Life was one of the worst games I have ever played, and was probably too much realism. I have had my eye on Marc Eckos Getting Up for a while. I wasn't reading up on it to much. Just looking at screenshots and stories in Game Informer really. So when I saw this game at Blockbuster, I decided why not pick it up, so I did, and I have to say I was not disappointed seeing as how it was a lot better than what I was expecting the game to be.

The game starts off in a different type of style for video games, and actually begins at the end, kind of like Sly 3 for those who have played it. You will be treated to a pretty cool cut scene, and then thrown back to the past, for a pretty interesting tutorial. The whole story for the game is pretty much like any other “streets” game, in that you're trying to make a name for yourself. Your name is Trane, you're an up and coming graffiti artist, with a knack for tagging and learning quick. You're thrown out of your Grandmas, for not stopping your graffiti art, and need to find a place to stay.

While looking, you run into a local graffiti gang, that don't like you writing over their work, and tagging on their turf. You pretty much get the crap kicked out of you, and have been humiliated, and stripped of your paint, and have been branded by your new rivals. But, that won't stop you from going to the top, so as Trane progresses through the game; he will form the Still Free crew, and goes to new heights, and daring places, to get his work known.

All this is well and good, but it does feel a bit cliqued, even though it is the first game to really make graffiti a way of life and art, rather than just using it to piss off your foes. Painting will be done a lot in this game, and it's a relatively easy process to perform. You will need to pick what type of drawing you want to put on the wall, and pick the size you want. Once you got all that decided, pick your color, and start tagging. Stay in one spot for to long, will result in drips of your work, which will make it look bad and sloppy. Plus if you don't do it in the set time limit, you wont get anything other than a small self of satisfaction for doing it.

Doing this is actually becomes pretty second nature fast in Contents Under Pressure. Rarely are you left not know what to do. The only problem I has was, how to do it. The game pretty much tells you, go here, and tag, but gives you little to no advice on how to do that. I was often left wondering for twenty minutes on how to do a certain thing, or how to get all the way up there.

One thing that also was a little confusing was the fighting in this game. While I thought that fist fighting and not having to worry about bullets flying past you, was a really cool, and more realistic part of Contents Under Pressure, seeing as how not everybody on the streets carry around a gun or a baseball bat, it was a little hard to fight over two guys at a time, which is sad since you will be fighting a lot in this game. Hitting and Kicking, and doing small combos are really the main fighting styles of the game, along with grabbing and throwing your enemy. Sneaking up behind your enemy works to, so long as you don't get caught doing it.

But probably the thing that impressed me the most with Marc Ecko's Contents Under Pressure, was the voice acting and sound track. Many big name stars lended their voice to Marc Ecko's creation, and they were all awesome. Everyone from Andy Dick to P. Diddy, from Brittany Murphy to Adam West, the characters were all perfectly mixed into the game, and were probably some of the most big name stars in one video game I have ever seen.

Music wise, Contents Under Pressure excels, in bringing together a great flow of rap and hip hop, along with some rock and funk type music. While it does mainly go along with the rap and hip hop fans out there, this game does not disappoint in matching up the scenarios with great music to jam out to, and all of your music can be stored onto your own personal, in game Apple I pod, which you will find many new songs littered through out the world, and can listen to on the fly while playing the game.

Graphically, this game actually didn't suck to tell the truth. While Crime Life was the utter definition of crap in graphics for the PS2 and X-Box generation, and Bulletproof while very good, were kind of fake through out the game, Contents Under Pressure really did feel like a downtown New York type of city. While it isn't New York in the sense of this game, we certainly know where Marc Ecko got his basic concept from.

The opening cut scene is amazing, and full of detail, and rich in life and colors, and will leave you amazed that all of this is actually coming from a PS2 game, and the rest of the game doesn't really falter that much either. Characters all have details to them, and they weren't just the same five people walking around everywhere. Enemies tend to dress a lot like one another, but that's just to show you who's who I guess. Environments are great and full of detail and texture, and everything looks like it would in real life, for the most part. I think that this is really one of the first games to get what real life actually looks like.

While Marc Ecko's Getting Up: Contents Under Pressure isn't the game to end all games, that's for sure, it certainly does bring with it a certain feel with it to make gamers stop and say, you know what, that's pretty real. Sure, I won't be going out and dangling from bridges to spray my name onto them anytime soon, this game certainly does give gamers something that other games don't, realism. Detailed graphics, a very interesting story line, spectacular voice acting and music, and a new graffiti tagging system, while not the most complex thing in the world, is very cool and different. I would say rent this game, before buying, because some people will love it, while others hate it, that's a given, it certainly is a new innovative game, with plenty to offer gamers.

Reviewer's Score: 8/10 | Originally Posted: 03/10/06