Review by DJ cream

"And I thought I'd never give any Capcom fighting game a 2..."

At the Electronic Entertainment Expo of 2004, Capcom announced the creation of their newest original fighter after 4 long years. Yet another game to add to the “Vs.” series as it brings together fighters from Street Fighter II, Alpha and 3rd Strike along with fighters from the Darkstalkers, Red Earth (which wasn't released in the US) and a kind of new fighter from the canned Capcom fighter, Capcom All-Stars. Given a few months with the talented and experience squad from Capcom, you'd think that they could make a mind-blowing fighter, right? Ha!

After loading the game up for the first time and seeing the really simple main menu, I already got the hunch of a half-assed job. Going in to training mode, I soon learned that all of the games spirits, except for Zangief and Ingrid, are the same ones used from their respected games with a few coming from Capcom vs. SNK 2 and Marvel vs. Capcom 2.

Another thing I noticed is the very limiting roster. Even with all of the cutting and pasting Capcom puts into this game, they could at least add in more characters. Having four characters for each game isn't so much. That's a total of 21 when you count Ingrid. To make matters worst, they included fighters that no one ever uses. Besides the garbage Red Earth players, no one asked for Zangief, Karin, Urien and Anakaris. May, I suggest someone that people uses a lot that's not in the game like maybe Ken or Ibiki?

I really don't mind the fighting style of this game. Picking two fighters and picking who goes next after each round isn't something new but it also isn't so bad. After all, it was all right in Capcom's Rival Schools (which Capcom didn't people into this game). The only gripe I got with the gameplay is the power gauges. Depending on the game, which the fighter represents, he or she fights in that game's power gauge. For example, the fighters from Street Fighter 3: Third Strike gets to stock 2 power bars to use for their supers and can parry; however, the fighters from Street Fighter II just have a plan bar to fill up once with no extra features. It would have been nice to do something like a Groove selection like Capcom did in Capcom vs. SNK 2.

There are only three things Capcom actually worked on. Aside from turning a 3D model of Ingrid into a spirit, they made new, but boring, backgrounds and soundtrack. The backgrounds are dull, dim and feature a lot of cameos. The soundtrack features only one tune I enjoy listening to. Ingrid's theme features the only vocal track in the game, which caught me by surprise. It's not very often I hear a vocal going down in a fighter.

Going back into the ample list of bad points, the replay value is at the top of the list. First off, using someone from Street Fighter II, the game can be done in 10 minutes. That's far too less compared to other fighters. Second, the reward for beating the game with someone results into a one-page comic featuring both fighters and their respective theme songs from their game. It's great to listen Ryu's theme any time I want, but how come I can't view the comic page any time I want? Lastly, with a small roster and no control of choosing a power bar, it makes it completely garbage. So why would two people waste their time in versus mode?

If the only thing that keeps you busy is completing the game with everyone and doing Demitri's “Midnight Bliss” on everyone, then this game is a quick return to where ever you got this from. I urge anyone to NOT buy this. This is a rental game for even the most hardcore fighting game veterans.

Rumor has it that this may be the last 2D fighting game that Capcom will ever produce. If this is true, lets take a moment to reflect on past achievements…

…It's seems like Capcom has finally shows that it is no longer interested in raising the genre it practically created. After a 4-year hiatus, the canceled production of a promising 3D fighter and leeching off their fans with “Retro” collections of past series, it seems that the well has run dry. I guess making sequels are sure fired way Capcom can make money nowadays, huh? I guess, I'll pledge my fighting game allegiance to SNK because I know they make quality fighters on a yearly basis.

Reviewer's Score: 2/10 | Originally Posted: 01/03/05