Review by Megaman1981

"It is worth the $10 I spent on the game simply because the arcade game is included. It's the best part of the game, plain and simple."

Way back when the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles were the most watched T.V. show, several games were released on the NES. The first game was very difficult, but still very fun to play. The second was like the arcade game and was awesome. The third installment is excellent, and even incorporated several things from the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 2 movie. Everything that could be involved with a ninja turtle was made; toys, cartoons, comics; you name it, it was made. I remember when Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles IV: Turtles in Time was released on the SNES. I didn't own the system, but I played it on my friends system everyday and loved it. What made it so brilliant was the fact that everything that was great about the NES games was put it into Turtles in Time. Shortly after that, the turtles started to die out. Then in 2003, they were revived. The toys, cartoons, and even the video games returned. The video games however, weren't like they were in the old days. The first game was very hard and very repetitive and boring. The second game I never played until just yesterday, but I heard it was terrible. While that statement is a bit harsh, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 2: Battle Nexus can be a frustrating game, but isn't a total piece of trash either.

The new ninja turtles were designed just like the old comics. As such, the new video games were designed to be just like the show using a cel shaded style just like in The Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker. I like it. It is different from the same old same old. In fact, it makes you feel like you're playing a cartoon. The music and sound is fairly simple. It's decent, but nothing compared to the old ninja turtle show.

The old ninja turtle games were designed to be like an arcade beat em up. They tried to make the new ninja turtle games to be just like those, but it didn't quite work out. The combat was repetitive, the stages boring, and the turtles and camera angles murder to control. To be blunt, the camera is a real pain. It's difficult to control especially in boss battles. The game is my opinion is very difficult, but not for the right reasons. The enemies are pretty stupid, but the game will simply overpower you by tossing sometimes as many as ten enemies at you at the same time. The platform elements aren't that bad, but some of the ones in the final stages will make you want to put the game away and never touch it again. And don't even get me started on the Slashuur, a boss that regenerates health every time he hits you with is weapon. In all, the difficulty will make a frustrating experience.

The story is modeled to be just like Season 2 from the show. You will go into outer space, plus deal with the Triceratons and the Federation. Oh, and Shredder as well. Of course, you don't have to complete every stage in the game. Stage 1 can be skipped all together, as well as some of the later stages. Of course, you will miss a lot of the extras that can be unlocked. I must say that this game at least has lots of replay value thanks to those extras such as special characters and even the old arcade game.

By the way, the arcade game is awesome. It reminds me so much of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles II: The Arcade Game from the NES. In fact, I think that I should talk about the arcade game as well. First let me point out that this isn't quite the same game as the NES version. People that have only played the NES version will have a few surprises. First off, the snow level and the ancient ninja level aren't in the arcade game. Neither are Tora and Shogun. In addition, in the NES game Baxter Stockman was shown in both human form and as a mutated fly. In the arcade game, Baxter is only shown as a human in the sewers. Instead of a fight against Baxter the fly, you will have to defeat Rocksteady and Bebop at the same time in the garage level. Aside from that, the games are almost exactly the same. One more thing, only two of the turtles can be used; Leonardo and Michelangelo. Raphael and Donatello can't be used in the PS2 version. It's very sad that Konami couldn't at least let us pick the turtle of our choice.

The gameplay was pretty simple. The turtles are trying to save April from her burning apartment building. Of course Shredder kidnaps her at the end of the level. Halfway threw the game you rescue her, only to have Splinter end up being kidnapped. The graphics are a lot better than the NES version. Each environment has lots of detail and color. The music is different story. There are only two songs in the game; the level music and the boss music. Neither of the songs is terrible, but how could Krang and Shredder have the same battle music as Bebop and Rocksteady? All in all, the arcade game is still a blast to play.

In conclusion, I seriously think that the arcade game is better than the regular game. So, is this game worth a purchase? Two years ago I would have said a great big NO! However, now the game can only be found used for a very low price since its now out of print. I got lucky and found a brand new copy at Circuit City and only paid $10 for it. That's not too bad, and if you can find the game for about the same price, I say go for it. After all, its only $10. And that $10 is worth it for the arcade game. Now don't get me wrong, the regular game isn't that bad, but I only think that it is a 5/10. Repetitive combat against frustrating enemies in addition to the bad platform elements means this game is average. I would score the arcade game an 8 or 9. Maybe this game is only worth a 5/10, but the arcade game does add a point in my eyes. Maybe I was a bit harsh with my review; believe me it's better than a lot of games out there, but sadly it fails to live up to the turtle games of the past.

Reviewer's Score: 6/10 | Originally Posted: 02/08/06