Review by ravi2253

"Lit up like a dutch brothel!"

Sam Fisher returns in the 3rd Splinter Cell episode... Chaos Theory. This time pretty much all of the characters have had some make-overs, graphic wise.

If you've been playing the previous Splinter Cells on PS2 you will have probably noticed that the frame rate is a lot worse than the XBOX and PC versions, and you will have also noticed that the graphics were just no way near as good.

Well those problems haven't been fixed completely in this version, but they still are a lot better. The frame rate is smooth most of the time, and the character models look more realistic (Sam's face looks a lot more detailed, too in my opinion).

Gameplay wise, you now have a few new moves at your disposal. Not only can you grab enemies and interrogate them, along with knocking them out; you now have a choice during this manoeveur whether you will execute a harmless knock-out move or a lethal blow: depending on what you do will affect your end statistics.

This time round, you'll find the game to be probably slightly longer than the previous versions, and the puzzles are a bit more challenging. You'll have to think carefully about what you are doing. Thankfully, almost 70% of the time, whenever you see a room with 2 or more guards, there's usually an easy secret passage for you to look out for, which will get you through the room unscathed, or at a tactical advantage of your enemy.

The sound in this game is fantastic. Music cuts in at the best of moments, especially during particularly tense parts.

Another thing to note, this time round you can save whenever you see fit. Apart from that there are checkpoints about 15-20 minutes away from each other. Medkits are in plenty supply, and you WILL need them, especially when you've been shot 3 times and your life bar is hanging by a thread.

As far as story is concerned, I can honestly say I don't have a clue. It's typical Tom Clancy, and maybe I'm just really stupid, but the plot is incredibly complicated, and you'll find that you need to listen to everything in the cutscenes and interrogate everyone you find if you want to have a clue of the story. But who cares about the story, anyway?

Overall this is a great game and I'd recommend at least renting it.

(I haven't played the online mode because I can't, but I've heard that it is quite good)

Reviewer's Score: 8/10 | Originally Posted: 04/18/05