Review by firestormj7

"A Good Start..."

For those of you who love Castlevania much like myself, this is the game that almost got it right. By it I mean the venture into 3-D games. There is a lot of good, but a few problems that hinder the game from being one of the greats like SoTN. Let's take a look:

The characters look great. Plain and simple every main character in this game has their own unique look that fits them so perfectly. The different areas in the game each have their own separate feel, but the rooms in each tend to look very much alike. I would've liked a little bit more scenery as I went through the game, but that is a small complaint that I overlooked easily.

I loved the soundtrack for this game. The music just added to the whole feel of the game, made the boos fights that much more epic, and in some parts gave that sense of foreboding. The character's voices were very well done, a lot like LoI.

Gameplay and Camera: 5/10
The one down fall of this game is the camera. I've played many games and this is probably one of the hardest camera's to get used to. When playing the faster bosses and you are in lock on mode, a lot of times the camera gives you horrible angles and you can't even see the boss until he is already attacking you. However, moves like quick step and perfect guard can help you overcome this problem, it just takes a little getting used to. The controls are simplistic and very easy to catch on to. The innocent devil system is also easy to use and makes the game a lot of fun to play. Each one has numerous options it can transform into, giving a bit of control over which path you want to take.

Ahh yes, same story as always right? Bitter enemy kills your girl so you have to go and kick some serious butt. But what makes it great is this story of vengeance goes a lot deeper than the main character knows and each twist and turn gives you more reason to be worried about what's happening next. Throw in a cast of very cool support characters (including a certain Belmont) and you got the makings of a solid story. Still all the same, a few more cut-scenes would have made it all the better.

Final Verdict: 8/10
CoD is a good game, not great but definitely good. If you enjoyed Castlevania 3, then you should get this game as it is a sequel to that story. As for the people who loved the entire Castlevania series, they probably already own it. It has a good replay value with a hidden and completely awesome character to use and of course harder modes available as well. If you want to make the most of this game, you should buy it, but if you're just looking for a weekend's worth of demon hunting, this will satisfy that need on a rental. My opinion, it's a good game to buy. Konomi is on the right track and hopefully their next game will fix the flaws and give us SoTN type experience on a next gen console.

Reviewer's Score: 8/10 | Originally Posted: 11/04/05