Review by MegaNeo

"Hedgehog's with Guns"

Okay my first review, here we go. Having never been a big fan of the Sonic series, I was not sure how I would like Shadow the Hedgehog. But, I was down at Blockbuster and I needed a new game to waste my time with, so I thought what the heck, it can't hurt to try this game, and by no means did it hurt to try. Shadow is a very fun game almost anyone can enjoy. If you're a fan of the Sonic series, don't expect this to be just like a Sonic game, but your playing as Shadow, this is a completely different game. However, the game is still fun and I would recommend it to anyone.

Graphics and Sound: 9

The games graphics are very good, not Final Fantasy X good, but still very good, the cut scenes are all done very well, the in game graphics are also great. The sound is good to, the music is catchy and you will not find it bothersome at all.

Story: 9

The story of the game is about Shadow and how he is trying to discover the secrets of his mysterious past. One day Shadow was pondering his past when aliens started attacking earth, Shadow was about to leave, when one of the aliens called him by name, telling Shadow that he needs to gather the seven Chaos Emeralds and bring them to him. Shadow then sets of on his quest. Will Shadow follow the aliens orders, or will he help out Sonic and friends? You decide.

Game play: 8

Paths/Missions: Each stage of the game has missions for you to do. Most of the time there are three missions per stage, a light, a dark, and a neutral mission. Depending on which path you do determines the next stage that you go to. Some types of missions are getting to the end of a stage, which is what most neutral missions are, killing all of the aliens/GUN soldiers/robots in a stage, activating certain objects in the stage, rescuing captives and more.

Weapons/Vehicles: Yes it's true, Shadow can use guns in the game *gasp*. Don't have the guns turn you off, they are optional, but they do make the game easier in later stages. There is quite a variety of guns and weapons. From standard small guns to bazookas to swords, there is a good amount of weaponry in the game. As if the guns were not enough, our friendly neighborhood black hedgehog can also drive vehicles. I personally never used the cars very much in the game, I found their controls to feel a little weird, but you may like the cars, or not. Most of the vehicles are optional as well, except for some kind of hover disk thing you use to cross pits of toxic substance. Most of the time you can use the cars just to make traveling easier.

Extras: 9

In every stage of Shadow the Hedgehog, there are five secret keys for you to find. If you find all the keys, you can unlock a door and get a special surprise, whether it's a new vehicle a weapon, or something else, you will have to find that out on your own.

Replay: 10

With 10 different endings and the final Secret ending, this game will last a while, then when you get every ending, you can try to get an A on every stage. Even if you do get an A on all the stages and get every ending, you may still come back to the game because it is just fun!

Rent or Buy?

I'd say rent it first, and if you like the game then buy. But I am pretty sure that you will like this game.

Overall 9/10 ( not an average)

Reviewer's Score: 8/10 | Originally Posted: 11/30/05