Review by AssassinKing

"Unless you're a hardcore Sonic fan, stay away."

Introduction
I recently rented this game from my local video store, and I am so glad I decided to rent instead of buy. This game, while having many many levels to play, has very little play value. Read on to find out why.

The story is actually rather good, and isn't the usual "I must avenge (insert name here)!" cliche. Instead, you take the role of Shadow the Hedgehog -hence the name of the game- and you must figure out your past. Seems easy enough, right? Here's the catch: you have to do it with an alien army invading the planet at the same time.

This is the part where it really becomes a trainwreck. From shoddy camera controls, to a horrible aiming system, this game is disturbing. The control scheme is as unwieldy as driving a sports car on an ice rink. You can go from zero to top speed in less than 3 seconds, and while you're at top speed for the admittedly always short time, it's nigh-impossible to turn or do anything other than stop. I say it's always short as you'll often hit a wall or an enemy, immediately stopping you. In fact, the game stops your speed-streak even if you bump into a friendly. I'm not joking when I say this game has one of the worst setups I've ever seen.

The sound is more... mediocre than anything else. What little music the game has is, by default, turned extremely low. The sound track for this game is appropriate at times, but just as inappropriate at others. The gun sounds are bland and uninteresting, which makes the guns seem unrealistic. The voice acting is great and the dialogue isn't bad, but that doesn't save this section from a lower-than-average score.

Here's where the game really shines. The graphics are just right for this game. It still has that Sonic Adventure feel, but now it's got a slightly darker tint to it. Most, if not all, of the levels you'll play around in are under siege by the Black Arms, an invading alien army. On some occasions, parts of the scenery will be destroyed right in front of you. While this is a rather fun thing to watch, it gets old after the first time it happens.

This game is mediocre in many ways, and really isn't worth a play unless you absolutely must play a Sonic game this year. Even then, you'd be better off with Sonic Rush.

Rent/Buy?
Rent it if you must subject yourself to this torment, but otherwise stay away.

Reviewer's Score: 5/10 | Originally Posted: 02/06/06