Review by Wenatchee

"Tom Clancy Hits Home With A Modern FPS Like No Other"

Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter (GRAW)
System: PS2
Overall - ****.5/*****
Graphics - *****/*****
Gameplay - *****/*****
Story Believability/Detail - ****/*****

When I first bought GRAW I wasn't so sure I'd like it. Modern Combat FPSs have never been my cup of tea. I generally prefer the semi-real 007-style FPS of an almost invincible character who runs around, guns blazing, shooting everything in sight, causing big explosions, etc. That's fun, but not realistic. You can get shot 10+ times and not die. No, in GRAW if you get shot more than 4 or 5 times in close succession you will end up dead. In interesting little detail about that is you gradually recover health as time goes on. In just a few minutes you can go from a red (grave), to orange (severe), to yellow (serious), to green (perfect health). As unbelievable as that sounds, I do have an idea about it. My guess is that the developers assumed that, in real combat, the warfighter would self-administer a field med-kit to improve his health.

This game came out in the months before the long-awaited Playstation 3 console so its no surprise that the graphics are superb. An unusually good detail, not related to the graphics, is the allied AI. You are partnered up with a soldier named Ramirez throughout the game. He is actually very useful. He will do what you tell him to, shoot who you tell him to and help you complete mission objectives. A rather humorous bit is that your ally never dies, he gets “injured.” During one mission I played, Ramirez took a tank round to the chest and he became “injured.” That would have blown anyone else to bits. Ramirez must be Superman huh?

When you zoom in on the gunsight and shoot an enemy or when an enemy is shot at close range, a red cloud of blood is visible from the precise spot that he was shot. This game truly brings home the reality of warfare while still allowing us to keep down our lunch. The enemy is shot, blood sprays, he falls, he disappears. That is a good amount of realism for the average gamer. I might be in the minority on this but, I don't like the games where the enemy gets shots, bleeds all over himself, falls to the ground screaming, dies and stays there for all to see. Also this game does not have huge armies marching on other huge armies. Nor does it have a single character who takes down an impossibly large enemy force. It consists of many small skirmishes that generally include only infantry. It should be noted that the player will face enemy armor on more than one occasion.

The storyline of the game is interesting. Without spoiling it, it involves Mexican Rebels, the U.S. President, the fabled “football” and NORAD. I can tell you that these 4 main details are woven together in a story that is believable, exciting and suspenseful. Generally, in a critical review, I must be critical about some aspects of the game. However, I find myself at a loss on how to do so. This game is just so good that I have nothing bad to say about it. This is another great game to come from Ubisoft. You might wonder why I did not give this game a 5/5. I have some reservations about doing so because giving a game a perfect score implies that the game itself is perfect. Personally, I have never played a truly perfect game. There is always something that could use a little tweaking. Nothing in this game takes away from the overall gameplay.

Overall, the missions are long and fun. The graphics are awesome. The story line is fun and involving and this game is just too fun to put down.

Thanks for reading. This is my first review. I thought it smart to start off with such a great game. If you've never played GRAW, rent it, buy it borrow it, but just play it. You'll see for yourself that it's an awesome game.

Reviewer's Score: 9/10 | Originally Posted: 08/30/07