Review by Venom65437

"You really shouldn't waste much money on this."

While I was playing through this, I was going to give this a 6. I was. Now that I've finished the game, I really think it's pretty bad. A 4 might even be generous, but I have been somewhat fond of the Grandia series, so that might be influencing my score as well.

The graphics in this game are pretty good. The environments look nice, and there are a lot of rich colors. The visuals for magic spells and special moves are pretty nice as well. The enemies are detailed, and colorful. Overall, I find the graphics pretty solid.

The fighting in this game is GREAT. At first. The new addition to this game is aerial combos, which give bigger rewards if you defeat an enemy using one instead of defeating them a traditional way. However, as you progress through the game you get attacked by bigger and bigger numbers of enemies, all who have special moves and aren't afraid to use them. This gets very old and frustrating after a while, seeing your party get battered by tons of specials moves, many which will cancel your turn just makes you want to turn the game off. In order to get through a lot of later fights in the game, you will use a lot of special moves, which consume your SP. The enemies seem to have an unlimited amount of SP, while yours is very limited. The worst part is the only way you can refill SP is the passage of time in battle, or with certain items. Inns don't refill your SP, and you could argue your SP is more important than your MP through most of the game.

That said, the game itself isn't too difficult, until you get towards the end. Then the difficulty is ramped WAY up. A lot of the bosses are EXTREMELY tough. Especially the Melc Crystal boss. I don't have a problem with hard bosses towards the end of the game, but there should be a progression in the difficulty, not just an immediate jump. Another bad thing about these extreme bosses is there is only one real good place in the game to level up. Leveling up can take a while, and it's very boring. Also, it seems the last portion of the game was REALLY stretched out.... just to make this game hit in the 30-35 hour range. At least 2 or 3 different times you feel like this MUST be the last area, or this MUST be the last fight... but no you still have a few more worthless areas to go to, just to stretch the game out.... and WAY too many cut scenes, by this point in the game, you just want it to end.... seriously.

The characters in the game overall are crap. They never really make you care much for any of them. Even the villains aren't that interesting. Typical destroy the world stuff.... blah blah blah. Other villains just seem to appear out of no where with little or no explanation as to why they are there or why you should care.

The music isn't bad in battle, but the Grandia battle music has always been pretty good. I didn't find the music in the final battle to be fitting to the situation, but it's not that big a deal.

I'd be remiss if I didn't mention the thing that probably bothered me the most about this game. When you get it, you see it's on two DVDs. MAN THIS MUST BE A HELL OF AN ADVENTURE, RIGHT? Wrong. It's on two DVDs because it has about 80,000 cut scenes, many which could be done without. At some points in the game they will have a cut scene, then one of their meal conversations, and then you'll walk out the door into... a cut scene. It will just make you want to scream, "FOR THE LOVE OF GOD CAN WE PLEASE JUST GET ON WITH IT!" Like I said, a lot are pointless.

If I were you, I'd just rent this game over a weekend when you can power through it. There is NOTHING about this game that will make you want to play it again. There are no side quests of any kind, and the story and game play certainly won't make you want to go through all this again. If you feel like you MUST buy it then please.... no more than $20 max... and that's being generous. There are really many, many, MANY other RPG's you could buy that are MUCH better than this.

Reviewer's Score: 4/10 | Originally Posted: 06/08/06